Re: strongest/weakest currency = spread ? FOREX

Hans,

> So what can be used as benchmark ? On stocks I hear sometimes FORD
> is outperforming automobiles, or XYZ outperforming chemicals - how
> do they calculate that - is it just ROC ? what period ? what else ?

this problem has been bugging me as well for some time. One
possibility would be to create an artificial average of currencies -
perhaps weighted towards GDPs or ....

One related matter is the so called Big Mac index. McDonalds
sources most of its products locally. That is why some people thought
that a Big Mac (being in every country all over the world the same
thing) could be an universal measure for purchasing power.
Basically one would just take the price of a BM multiply it with the
dollar exchange rate and you get a measure whether Bangladeshi BM's
are undervalued versus Russian BM.

However all charts I have seen always show the price of the
international Big Macs compared to the American Big Mac..

But what happens if the American BM would be overvalued - then
all other BMs would be undervalued (vs. the dollar). Is this really
the best way to do it ?

Wouldn't it be much better to calculate the value of the average Big
Mac in all countries and then compare all countries with this average
- or how do we weight the BMs ?

Just some food for thoughts.

Gerrit