Re: SCSI vs IDE

> that alone improves the throughput. <<<
>
> Not entirely correct...the newer 350 and 400 MHz Pentium II (Deschutes)
> system bus speeds are 100 MHz.  So if you're going to buy a new system,
> definitely go with the 350+ P II's.
>
> -Tony Haas

We should clarify this.  The bus is that the PII directly attaches to can run
100 MHz.  This is certainly not the bus that a SCSI device has direct access
to.  This is used for attachment to the North Bridge, L2 cache, etc.  The SCSI
card attaches to the PCI bus.  This runs at 33 MHz.

Most motherboards today have IDE build into them and many support Ultra DMA
which can improve data throughput between the drive and main memory.  However,
in general, you will find SCSI faster.  It will likely cost you more, if not for
the drives but for a good SCSI card.  However, I just bought a Quantum Atlas II
SCSI drive, 8 ms access time, 7200 RPM, 4.3 GB for $199 at Fry's Electronics
in Santa Clara.  They had a lot of drives on display and nothing had the bang
for the buck that this drive had, not even IDE.  I believe this was there
everyday price on this drive.  You can get teh older model, same specs for
$179.

BTW, there are Pentium (as in Socket 7) motherboards that also run the processor
bus at 100 MHz.  Most motherboards today run 75 and 83 MHz.  Evidently 66 MHz is
a limitation of Intel's motherboard technology.

Chris Norrie