Re: Variable Universal Life

Variable Life is a worthwhile product providing you have a need for continuous
life insurance coverage, and you can afford the premiums required to purchase
the face amount of coverage that is required.  Until recently it was only
available through commissioned agents and some policy offerings have annual
expense ratios that are offputting to some individuals who overemphasize
"costs."

However, if you do need permanent coverage; if you believe in the viability of
investing in common stocks (whether using a "timing" approach, or not)  there is
much to be said for the contracts.  While I am not now in the insurance business
at one time I was responsible for the securities operations of a major financial
conglomerate, and because of that background, assisted a cousin of mine to
implement part of his late in life financial planning.  We secured a $1,500,000
last to die variable life policy on he and his wife joint lives.  Annual
estimated premium was about $60,000 if policy costs were assumed to be at the
maximum levels guranteed in the policy and earnings were only a constant 6%.

In this, the third year of the policy, he is substantially ahead of all
projections and if the current values only increase at the 6% initially assumed,
and with the original excessive cost assumptions the projected death benefit is
now over $2,150,000, all of which would be tax free.

"No-load" variable life (without the commissions) are now available through some
companies.  We chose Ameritas as being the best given their ages 72 and 70.

Hope this helps.

Richard D. Funkhouser