Re: Backup. Mirror or RAID!

On 20 Jul 1998, Ron Augustine wrote:
> I've been working with PCs for years and have never seen a "total computer
> crash"  -- Generally it's a specific component --and normally a minor one--
> such as a battery, controller, etc. and can easily be repaired or replaced
> by a competent technician.  In any of these situations, your back-up data
> (and in most cases your original data) would be preserved.
>
> If you're talking about a catastrophic event, such as a fire, flood or theft
> of your computer-- no back-up procedure short of physically (or
> electronically) transporting your data away from the premises will protect
> against that type of calamity.  (there are people who recover data from
> computers that have been destroyed by fire, floods, etc., but it's
> expensive, iffy, and rarely needed).

Assuming you consider your data and trading secrets to be valuable and
worth saving, backup to tape and store off premises. A good procedure to
follow is to make incremental backups during the week, a full backup on
the weekend and an archive (never disposed of) once per month. CD-R would
be another good choice of media.

Cheers,

Jim