TS World Cup 2000: French TS doctor 1- Paperbag collectors: 0

Dans un courrier daté du 18/07/98 00:08:11  , Melody A. Blais
 Omega Research, Inc écrit :

<< Dear Omega Research Customers;
  (snip)

 The way to avoid this problem is to disable the Morning Update.
 Attached at the bottom of this email you will find instructions
 regarding disabling the Morning Update and why you do not need to be
 concerned if you disable the Morning Update.  Again, disabling the
 Morning Update is only necessary for those customers who are trading
 Future and Option contracts which expire after the year 1999.  Those
 customers who are trading Stocks, Indexes or Mutual Funds should
 continue to run the Morning Update as usual.

So, the solution that  James Mazzula and I proposed was valid and is endorsed
by Omega.
Period, and end of the thread.
I does not affect your safety and allow you to use the current version for 17
months, if
you use curency contracts expiring after year 2000.
This is  not the majority of the users, and the others may sleep well too.

 <<
 Be assured that we at Omega Research will provide a free Version 4.0
 update posted on our web site that will make the current shipping
 versions of TradeStation, OptionStation(versions 1.2)  and SuperCharts
 year 2000 compatible.  Once the fully released versions of our 5.0
 programs are shipping, we will provide a timeline for the Year 2000
 Update.

Sincerely,

 Dennis Boyle
 Omega Research, Inc.
 Customer Support Manager

You will get your patch and your TS5 version yk2000 compliant, and you have
time in advance to receive it once debugged and tested (no comments , please).
They are late, but they will do it in time, as the current TS5 beta is now
compliant.

Now, what's interesting is that Omega exactly proposes what I had suggested.
So, now you got your official answer, and you can withdraw all the suspicion
(althought legitimate).
I was not wrong, and this is true.

 <<
  WORKAROUND FOR YEAR 2000 CONTRACT EXPIRATION ISSUE

 This applies to real-time and delayed Futures and Options Traders only.

 (snip)

 We apologize if the Server manual gives the impression that it is unsafe
 to disable this feature. Although the Morning Update provides a less
 time consuming way to perform routine maintenance automatically, these
 procedures can be done manually. Performing these procedures manually
 can be helpful if the Morning Update interferes with the collection of
 data. The procedures are as follows:

So, it's officially secure.

<<
 - Deleting Log File Information
  (snip)

 These files may be deleted manually or by adding a line to your
 AUTOEXEC.BAT. They will be rebuilt upon opening the server.

 These log files are located in:

 OMEGA\SERVER\BTC for BMI
 OMEGA\SERVER\SIG for DBC SIGNAL
 OMEGA\SERVER\CMSTK for S&P COMSTOCK

This is what I proposed too.

One may read above
===============
OMEGA\SERVER\CSK for S&P COMSTOCK

(CMSTK is the root name of the tick files (40cmstk.dat and 40cmstk.ixd) in the
CSK directory.
Never delete the first one (40cmstk.dat), unless you have backup).

 The files are:

 OSERVER.LOG for the System Status Log window
 MORNING.LOG for the Morning Update Log window
 DAILY.LOG for the Daily Data Log window

 To delete the files manually:

(snip)

 If you would like to have these files deleted automatically when you
 reboot your computer you can add the following line to your AUTOEXEC.BAT
 file. Please note that the lines are written specifically for the data
 provider you use. The 1st line is for BMI users, the 2nd for DBC SIGNAL
 and the 3rd for S&P COMSTOCK.

 DEL C:\OMEGA\SERVER\BTC\OSERVER.LOG MORNING.LOG DAILY.LOG
 DEL C:\OMEGA\SERVER\SIG\OSERVER.LOG MORNING.LOG DAILY.LOG
 DEL C:\OMEGA\SERVER\CMSTK\OSERVER.LOG MORNING.LOG DAILY.LOG

Again ComStock users need to  change to:
DEL C:\OMEGA\SERVER\CSK\OSERVER.LOG MORNING.LOG DAILY.LOG

<<
 - Deleting Old Data

<<
 Another maintenance procedure handled during the Morning Update is the
 removal of data older than the number of days you specified to save. To
 delete data use the File - Delete menu sequence from the Omega Server to
 specify the date range for the symbols you want to delete.  We recommend
 you do this periodically.

You must be careful when typing the range dates to be  erased  when doing
this.
Do a tape backup before.

Alternate method:

1)Go to the offline server, after session or during the week end.
2)A better solution is to backup before (say the last 3 months, or whatever
you need) using copy out command.
3)Then rename your 40NAME.DAT and 40NAME.IDX files where NAME is the name of
the server (SIG, CMSTK, you will see by yourself, they start with "40")
For example rename into 40NAM2.DAT and 40NAM2.IDX

4)Import again the copied out data (using paste in command)
You will see that you have now only the 3 last months.

In case of problem, you can delete the new 40NAME.DAT and 40NAME.IDX  (created
when pasting in) and rename again the old one into 40NAME.DAT and 40NAME.IDX
(inverse of step 3).

If no problem occurs (data are here), you may delete the 40NAM2.DAT and
40NAM2.IDX .

You can store your 3 months OMZ files backup in a special directory, or better
on a tape or an other computer
If someday you get a crash, you will be able to reimport again from these OMZ
files and rebuild all your database.
Also convenient to maintain a parallel offline database on a TS offline copy
for research purposes.
I have done this for years and my database is still valid since 1992.

<<
 - Data File and Symbol Portfolio Backup

 Backing up the Symbol Portfolio and the tick data file is another
 procedure performed during the Morning Update. Whatever method you use
 for your regular backups, such as tape backup, zip drive or removable
 hard drive, will also backup your tick data file and portfolio list.

You can do that and  better  use the copy out /paste in method for the tick
data (see above)
The advantage of the copy out method is that you can do incremental backups of
the database.
The tape backup method will save all the data and files as they were at this
time.

[
A secure method is to backup on tape the following directories
SERVER (data and portfolio)
TS (your work : indicators, systems)
UNIVERSE (symbol universe wit the modifications that you may have done)
Doing so, you may recover from any situation.
]

Concerning the portfolio, it'sa single file in the OMEGA\SERVER\NAME
directory, with the extension LST.
For example cmstk.lst , located in omega\server\sck\ for ComStock users.

<<
 - Symbol Portfolio Maintenance
  (snip)

Nothing to say here.

So, remember that all of this concerns only some traders that are working on
some contracts labelled past year 2000.
This is not the case for people using intraday short terms contracts leke SP,
US , Liffe, Matif, Dtb ...
So, not the case for the majority.

I have used a lot of workarounds like this in the past, and never encountered
any unrecoverable error, because I always backup before experiencing.
In this case, it was necessary to ask.
Now you have the answer.
Even if  it's not so ethical that having the patch right now or at the
promised date, it's stupid to bother so much people with problems that are
minors.

A problem that has no solution is really worth to claim.
A solution , when workable and when faced to the emergency is anyway
acceptable.
I'm pragmatic.
You need to be  too.
Life is like this and you will never cange it by shouting louder and louder.
Millions on people have lost their life for problems worse than this one, and
they have lost it for nothing.

A good idea could be to speak of oother things now.
Or it will become quickly annoying.
This list has had in the past better and creative eras than this one.

Sincerely,

Pierre Orphelin
www.sirtrade.com