From: Gary Fritz <fritz@xxxxxxxx>
To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, July 16, 1998 12:15 PM
Subject: Database corruption

I think I have a major problem.

A while back I had several cases of my Omega server database
getting corrupted.  I believe it was caused by a bloated pig of a
desktop publishing program (and no, it's not even written by
Microsoft :-) that my wife used to run after trading hours, but with
the server running.  Omega's ultra-reliable software apparently barfs
ungracefully and zorches your database if you run low on resources.
After making sure my wife never ran that program while the server
was running (and getting her her own laptop so she didn't need to
run it on my trading system anyway), I didn't see any corruptions
for several months.

Today I made the mistake of running another bloated pig, this time
Microsoft Excel 97, along with TS and several other programs.
(Power Editor, Netscape, email program, etc.  At this time I do not
have the luxury of a separate PC to dedicate to TS.)  And a
message just popped up that said "Database Maintenance:
Rebuilding index file."  And in the system log in the server, it has a
bunch of "CTREE errors" and "Rebuilding ISAM file" messages.

Worse (MUCH worse), I think my system-execution ability is
compromised.  I have a system that I trade in realtime.  I just
created a new window and applied the same system with the same
(default) parameters.  This new window SHOULD be identical to my
current "trading" window; both were 60-min bars, 260 days long,
ending 7/16/98.  The old one started on 7/17/97, and the new one
started on 7/18/97.  (!?)  The two windows also seem to be
executing the system VERY differently:  the new window shows 11%
lower win percentage, 25% fewer trades,  25% lower $ per trade,
and 45% less net profit.

HELP!!!  Any ideas???

Gary

PS:  Yes, I back up my data.  No, I do NOT do it often enough.
I usually back it up every weekend, but due to various distractions I
have not backed it up for 3 weeks...