Avoiding Morning Update as Y2K fix

was: Re: Pre World War III Status (was yk2 and the like)

tagteam@xxxxxxx (James F. Mazzulla) writes:

>Yes, it works provided the morning update is =never= run.
>The only downside I've discovered so far in connection with
>not running the update is that the .dat file (in my case
>40bonn.dat) grows rather large...

So, the question becomes, can you perform the copy-out/paste-in
.dat file-reduction process?  If not, then your .dat file will
grow unchecked until the fabled fix appears.

Since the .dat file is built out of 512-byte blocks, each capable
of holding up to 120 ticks, those sparse, far-out contracts will
likely bloat the .dat file far out of proportion to their activity.
Any day with just a single tick will add 512 bytes to the file.

Since MS Windows fails rather ungracefully as your free disc space
shrinks, if you can't crunch down that .dat file, you better invest
in a big disk...

Good luck,

Jim