Re: It's time....

I for one was not at all upset - the comments were thoughtful and intelligent
(civil too). My first inclination was that there was some merit to having TS/SC5
development well advanced to increase the developers knowledge of what might be
involved in the transition to the next product release before tackling the Y2K
fixes. Having spent a large part of some 30+ years in the computer field leading
large scale systems design and development projects, I am reasonably
knowledgeable about, and comfortable with, short and long term systems planning
although I do not pretend to have the final word.

As I gave the subject more thought however, it seems most prudent to build and
test the Y2K fixes directly to the existing software, thereby minimizing the
scope of change to the installed base used for
day to day trading. We've been told how TS/SC5 is being practically built from
the ground up, including an entirely new server. Thus, by integrating the design
and debugging of the Y2K fix for TS/SC with the next product release, the fix
itself becomes significantly more complex and increased complexity poses
considerable risk to the installed base of software. Far better that the
installed base be fixed with as few changes as possible and leave the complex
stuff including whatever 4 to 5 conversions are required, to the next release
while it remains in the laboratory. Further, I have never seen a development
project which did not slip from planned schedules - thus the Y2K fix is being
conditioned on events which are uncertain as to duration. Not to mention the
fact that Omega's first obligation is to insure that the software it has already
sold is performing as it should - obviously not the case with respect to Y2K.
Even the proposed workarounds are of dubious value since Omega has remained
silent.

Earl