Re: NT4 reliability/performance followup

<<
 The issue as described to me by Omega Tech Support has to do with
File Selectors.  I don't know if these are the same as "Handles", but I
seem to recall that they might be two different entities. >>

   You probably mean descriptors, as in local descriptor table,
used to locate the position of program segments in memory.

<< The "Selectors"  have been discussed on the list before.  There are
about 7200 of them available after a fresh Win-95 boot and they are
depleted quite rapidly by TS and its charting program...>>

   Out of a possible maximum of 8192 LDTs allowed by the
CPU, each containing 8192 descriptors, Windows can use
just one table, that is, 8192 segments out of a maximum of
67,108,864.

   TS4 uses a dispropotionate amount of these recources.
For instance, on opening, B 21 Server uses 11%. In
contrast, MS Word and MS Access take up 2% each, while
MS Excell only 1%.

<<Since NT runs everything in an isolated partition, my question is
whether or not the selector issue still applies to NT.  If you or anyone
knows the answer to this question, please post it. >>

   I asked the same question on this list back in 1996 but
have not received any response. However, I was told by
memory management software techsupport that NT can
access more than just one LDT.

IU