Re: NT4 reliability/performance followup

Earl Adamy wrote:

> Some may remember comments/warnings I've made here regarding frequent crashes of
> NT4/SP3 after installing IE401/OE. Because IE401/OE integrates itself into the
> OS itself, it is easier for IE to bring down the whole system and virtually all
> of the crashes occurred while starting/running/exiting either IE or OE.
>
> About 10 days ago I upgraded to IE401 SP1 (now available via download) and
> upgraded memory from 32 meg to 128 meg. Since then, the extraneous crashes seem
> to have disappeared (fingers crossed).

I have been running TS4 on NT4 (now SP3) for almost 2 years without
a problem, until yesterday.  I installed Outlook 98 during last
weekend, and it insisted IE 401 must also be installed, although
it need not be the default browser.

I had no problems on Monday or yet today.  Also, I use Netscape,
never MS IE.  I did not use Outlook during the day yesterday either.
Nevertheless, I suspect Gates and company are learning new
lessons on how to distribute buggy code from Omega.

Rod Grisham