Re: Internet Squawk for S&P

Brian Massey wrote:

> Richard,
>
> Thanks for your interesting post.  I've been considering getting one.  A
> comment you made caught my eye.  How can you tell players and their size
> from the price chart?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Dear Brian & Group,

I've been watching the S&P chart, tick by tick, since '85, so I have some
familiarity with its price action.  Two observations that I've made and
conclusions that I've drawn I believe that I now have some confirming evidence
for, courtesy of the squawk.

Observation #1: I often observe that a price will act as very strong support or
resistance for several minutes on a 1-tick chart; furthermore, the price during
that minute or two will hardly move off that support or resistance price,
usually by no more than 2,3, or 4 ticks, and that successive ticks with usually
be no more than 10 cents apart.  For example, if support is 8.20, the market
will work up and down from 8.20 to, say 8.50 for several minutes and then break
out, either rebounding up above 8.50 or by taking out the 8.20 support.  I have
presumed that somebody in the pits is heavily buying the 20s for the duration
that that support holds and that the price continues to hover slightly above
8.20.  What I have heard during my use of the squawk confirms my presumption.
Today, for example, the squawk reported that some local came out of nowhere in
the middle of the pit and offered a price for 1000 cars.  During the next
several minutes, his offering price acted as resistance, and the market hardly
budged off his offering price until he was finally filled, 1000 cars later,
after which, the market shot to the upside in a continuous stream of ever
ascending bids.

Observation #2:  I often observe that the market will oscillate back and forth
for longer periods, 15, 30 minutes in an observable trading range, but unlike
the former situation, here the support and resistance prices are much less
tight, and the moves up and down are wider, and often the ticks jump between
successive closes.  For example, a trading range between 5.50 and 6.80, more or
less, with erratic and uneven ticks, often jumping 20,30,40 cents between
successive closes.  I have presumed that this means that no one is trading any
size, that only the locals are trading, that they are trading only onesies and
twosies, and they are hitting each others offers or taking each others bids,
and that the bid/ask spread is the 20, 30, 40 cents that I observe between
successive closes.  I have repeatedly heard the squawk confirm my presumption
on this as well.

Is this the kind of answer that you werre looking for?

Sincerely,

Richard Josslin