Re: Fwd: Trade mini instead if regular S&P

Manning:

Again, I am not implying you have a hidden agenda or that you aren't a good
broker. And I even agree that there are people that might benefit from using the
E*minis versus the full S&P contract. But I thought the hype about electronic
trading had far surpassed the truth and some facts needed to be stated. These
facts need to be taken into consideration before someone decides the E*mini is
better or worse for them to trade. The most important fact facing an E*mini
trader is that you cannot use STOPS! And 'at the market' execution cannot be
untilized. I understand that changes in the orders allowed by the exchange may
bring these order types to the E*mini markets. But until they are available to
E*mini traders, trading E*minis when you have access to a good broker that has
floor access makes no sense.

And until full electronic trading is implemented, E*mini traders need to realize
that they are at the mercy of the locals that 'arb' their orders from the
electronic trading consoles to the pits. In other words, until *all* of us trade
during the day using the same electronic system, those that choose to trade
electronically will be at a disadvantage. E*minis trade at the mercy of the full
contract S&P...their price action follows, not leads.

So if I trade a two lot in the normal S&Ps, and my broker charges me $18 a round
turn, it would normally cost me fives time that, or $180 a round turn to trade
10 E*minis versus $36 a round turn to trade 2 S&Ps. And if I trade the 10
E*minis instead of trading the 2 S&Ps, I cannot use stop loss orders or 'at the
market' orders trading electronically. This makes no sense. It costs me more, if
I have a good broker the fills will be worse for the E*minis, and I can't use
good money management or exit/entry techniques.

I don't have an agenda. I just think people should think through some of the
things that are proposed and see the fault of the logic. E*minis are good NOW if
you have a very small account and you can't or don't want to trade a full S&P
contract. They will be better in the future for more of us.

Tim Morge