Re: Windows NT

Dear Manning & Group,

I've been running Windows for Workgroups and TS 3.5 for years.

Recently, I bought a new computer (P233 MMX) to run LeoWeb and an Internet
Squawkbox, both of which required either Win95 or NT 4.0.  I chose NT 4.0
(Workstation), because of the numerous notes I've read on this and other
groups saying that NT was the more stable.

Some pluses and minuses I've faced:

1.  I want to run a V90, 56K-flex modem, and I've been unable to find one
that has PCI connections and drivers for NT.  Consequently, I've had to
settle on one that has ISA connections, reputed to be slower.  When the
drivers come out, in a month or two, I'll change.

2.  I run a multi-monitor card with WFW and would like to use multi-monitors
with NT.  Microsoft tells me that their next upgrade for NT will have the
same multi-monitor provisions that their new Win98 has, but the NT upgrade
won't be out until the end of this year at the earliest.  Therefore, I'm
stuck with either using Win98 (without having to buy a multi-monitor card)
or NT plus the additional expense of a multi-monitor card (approx $1000 for NT).

3.  NT is fussier.  For examaple, I downloaded the new interim upgrade for
it, called "Service Pack 3", and when I ran it, it conked out my ability to
connect to the Internet.  I had to take the computer back to the shop and
have them reload NT, and I still don't have the slightest idea how I'm going
to upgrade.  Had I been running Win95, I doubt that I would have any problem.

4.  One problem I have with NT is that when it reboots, it requires a
password to be entered.  I don't know if Win95 requires this, but WFW does
not.  I find that advantageous, because if my power goes out in the middle
of the night or on the weekend or, worse, when I'm on vacation, and I'm not
at my desk, then when the power is ultimately turned back on, WFW will
bootup followed by the TS data server, so I don't lose any data waiting for
a password to be entered.

Other than the foregoing reasons, I've been happy with NT and TS.  I had
absolutely no problem loading TS ver 4.0 into NT - the set-up went
flawlessly and was done in just a few minutes (of course, it took me a while
to configure TS, for example, entering the contracts that I want in the data
portfolio).

Sincerely,

Richard Josslin