Re: Switching from Signal to BMI by Bob Kodama

To: Carroll Slemaker

I had signal cable and switched to bmi lite cable.  I was using
superchart 4.

bmi cable is faster than signal cable.

At the top of each hour data stops for a minute or so.

I think someone said some other signal is being sent at that time.

I found that the total accumulated volume for a stock (klac) for signal
was pretty accurate.

Total accumulated volume is the total volume that comes with each tick,
not the
tick volume.

I would dde the tick data into excel and subtract the total accumulated
volume
from one tick to the other.  This gave me the total shares trade between
each
tick.  Sometimes the tick volume would match the volume difference.

This worked well for intra day trading klac.  I could see when volume
was coming
into the stock.

I found bmi to have more ticks than signal but the total accumulated
volume is not accurate for bmi tick by tick.

The eod tick count was greater for bmi than signal, but they were less
than half
the total ticks for the eod at the site below for klac

http://qs.secapl.com/cgi-bin/qs  showing total trades for the day.

If you are trying to stock trade intra day and using some indicator
(like trade volume
index) that is using tick volume, the data sampling being less than half
may make the indicator useless.

I am using the ensign software that came with bmi.  It seems to work ok.
I am using the nyse and nasadq exchanges.  Seems like every stock symbol
is included
with the software.

You can scan for a stock between a certain price and a certain volume as
the day
goes on, if it is breaking thru a 52 week hi or low, % up or down, net
up or down.

I will try L2 with time&sales to see if that gives me more ticks,
hopefully
at least 80 to 90%.  This would probably be useful.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

Good trading.

Bob