Re: Switching from Signal to BMI

I, too, am a past Signal user.  About four months ago I got the BMI cable service.
It seems to be more reliable than the Signal cable - haven't had a single problem with it.  Passwords are handled
automatically (Signal was too, but every other month or so the Signal box would "lose" the password and I would have to
call).

The biggest change seems to be the symbols for the indexes.  Signal used a "$" before EVERY index symbol : $INDU, $TRAN,
$SPX, $NDX (Nasdaq), $ADV, $DECL - very easy to understand.  BMI however, has taken another approach - or, approaches. Some
index symbols are prefaced with "@": @CCO (guess what that one is), @INDS (Nasdaq Industrial Index), @MTR, @ND.
But most (60%) are simply letters, just like stocks.  This can be very confusing.  $INDU is simply INDU for BMI. BUT - it is
also @MIN.  $TRAN becomes @MTR.  @ND is NY Declining Issues.  Perhaps the logical symbols were already copyrighted by Signal.

You know, of course, that you can install both SIG and BMI servers.  Can't run them at the same time, though:-)

donc

(Oh - @CCO is . . .  Nasdaq Composite.)

<Subject:          Switching from Signal to BMI
<   Date:          Tue, 05 May 1998 11:50:52 -0700
<   From:          Carroll Slemaker <cslemaker1@xxxxxxxx>
<     To:          omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
<
<
<I am a Signal user so, although I've seen comments on this list in the
<past about various BMI quirks, I've not paid much attention to them.
<
<If I decide to abandon Signal in favor of BMI, can anyone forwarn me
<about what new and different gotchas I can expect in BMI?  Also, what
<hassles will I encounter in doing the switch - symbol name changes,
<symbol format changes, symbols available in Signal but not in BMI, or
<???
<
<Thanks for any advice you can offer.
<