Re: omega world

Just back in the office today and I have to say that, even though Omega
paid my way to speak there, the conference was the best I've ever attended.
First of all, the attendees were traders not tire-kickers so the sessions
weren't burdened with basics. I'm delighted to come away with two tradable
ideas I'm going to start testing today. Plus, Bill Brower and Sam Tennis
did really solid Easy Language sessions with lotsa good code I can use.
Omega's people were always on hand to make things run right, a particular
relief for speakers working with unfamiliar equipment. Every room came
equipped with PC, software, projection box and overhead as well as the
staffer. Things always started and stopped on time. Great food!

As to numbers, easily between 550 and 600 attended. I made several counts
at the general sessions (six of those!) and meals.

Disney provides a world-class setting (except the meeting rooms aren't on
the same floor as the exhibit hall) and after-hours activities. The
presenter list speaks for itself -- everyone from institutional gurus to
long-time active traders. One or two were primarily flogging a product but,
due to my wise session selection, all the sessions I attended were
substantive. Schwager did an excellent presentation and Linda B-R turned my
head around with her closing 1.75 hour speech!

TradeStation 5.0 was announced to blaring music from Rocky but you had to
make allowances -- Bill Cruz' first kid had just come along, 5.0 was
nearing completion, and OmegaWorld was coming off without a hitch. Ralph
was just back from Hambrecht and Quist and the Omega people were all pumped
up.

As to the program, I was surprised to see lots of substantive new features,
particularly the end to the 64k limit; the integration of RINA's system
testing results (an extra $700 or so) and the online order entry (yet to be
proven in combat); integration with other applications (most likely
Excel)(using Microsoft's modularization protocols); DTN data compatability,
and new open data server that non-Omega programs can access (HIGH FIVE!!!);
the end of the bouncing tick issue; intraday activity bars (sorta like
Profile bars only two sided, if you want); and the opening up of
OptionStation formulations to Easy Language. OptionStation is easier to
use, too.

Get set to buy lots more RAM and hard disk space. When running it, you'd
sometimes, not always, get odd little pauses or freezes. Couldn't tell if
it was the server or the program. Betting amongst experienced, wary TS
users there was that the June ship date would be met but stability would be
6 months (a year) later. Year 2000, tested on way out ED contracts just
once, didn't seem to be an issue at all.

John

>Would somebody attending omega-world please provide an estimate of the
>number of non-exibitors/presenters attending? Omega is indicating over
>600 on their website.
>
>Any impressions of TS 5 and OptionStation 5. Were the actual prgrams
>demonstrated live or were there only screen shots?
>
>Thanks
>Ted

John Sweeney, Tech. Editor  Technical Analysis of Stocks & Commodities
Technical Analysis, Inc.    The Traders' Magazine
4757 California Ave. S.W.   Phone: 206 938-0570  Fax: 206 938-1307
Seattle, WA 98116-4499 USA  Web: http://www.traders.com/
Contents may not reflect official opinion of Technical Analysis, Inc.