Re: Whats the best Back-up Utility??

Jim:

Without knowing what type of backup hardware you're using, I wouldn't know
what to suggest. I'd also need to know how much data (how big a hard-drive)
we're talking about.

1.) 500meg to 1 Gig.: Iomega Zip Drive (100 Meg), or Their New EZ-Drive (1
gig Format) are a cheap reliable solution and come with their own proprietary
software.. There are several new Excellent "Floptical" 1-2 Gig Technologies
around. Sysquest, and Sony are names that come to mind. There are also a
whole slew of newer inexpensive 1-2 gig Tape Drives on the market as well.
HP, Conners, Seagate, Sony, et al. are all now competing for the lower end of
the market with a variety of products under $400.00. All these packages come
with their own back-up software, most of which is pretty excellent. I have
used the Iomega, Cheyenne, Conners, Seagate and the HP products "on the job"
and they ALL work fine. Some have a slightly different emphasis on features.

2.) 2 Gig +: For my money, nothing beats the DAT drives for reliability &
speed. Prices start from about $800.00. The "industry standard" are the HP
SureStore DAT Tape drives, but there are a variety of cheaper brands that use
similar technology and conform to one or more of the DAT standards. Again
These machines usually come with their own software & proprietary drivers,
and easily install in Win95, WinNT, OS2, etc.. The HP DAT machines are also
available in MAC, and UNIX configurations and also come with all the
necessary software and drivers. The cheaper off-brand type Tape Drives might
not be so versatile.

For 32-Bit Win95 and WinNT systems, Cheyenne & Seagate offer excellent
products.

Let me know how it works out for you.

Tony