Re: MWDXAverag (DH tells THE TRUTH)

Jim Cox says re Miles Dunbar's MXDXAverage:
> You came up with a great concept...I put it
> to work in a unique manner.

Well, yeah, maybe. Or could it just be a method to confuse users of the
Bulls*** (you fill in the last 3) indicators? I hadn't bothered to look
at the Bulls*** code posted by THE CODE as I'm generally not interested
in code written by usenet spammers. But, finally, I took a look. Opening
the first indicator:

-------
{I0000.ASC}
Plot1(MWDXAverage(AvgPrice,.2) * (100 + .03) / 100 ,"PrcntAbv");
Plot2(MWDXAverage(AvgPrice,.2) * (100 -.03) / 100,"PrcntBlw");
Plot3(XAverage(close,3),"Bullseye");
--------

So what's that doing? If the MWDXAverage function happened to be locked,
I wouldn't have a clue. Opening the first function:

--------
{F0000.ASC}
Inputs		:
Price(NumericSeries),FAC(NumericSeries);
Vars		:Factor(0);

Value2=2/FAC-1;
If Value2 + 1 <>0 then Begin
	If CurrentBar<= 1 then  begin
	Factor = 2 / (Value2 + 1);
	Value1=Price;
      End
      Else
	Value1 = Factor  * Price + (1-Factor) * Value1[1];
	MWDXaverage=Value1;
End;
---------

OK, there's the code for Miles' MWDXaverage function. But isn't that
just the same as an Xaverage? Oh, I see... it has a numericseries FAC
input instead of a numericsimple Length input. As discussed on this list
that could be useful. It would let you vary the length of the xavarage
on the fly. Compare to the XAverage function:

{ *******************************************************************

	Study		: XAverage

	Last Edit	: 7/7/95

	Provided By	: Omega Research, Inc. (c) Copyright 1995

********************************************************************}
inputs : Price(NumericSeries),Length(NumericSimple);
vars   : Factor(0);

if Length + 1 <> 0
then begin
	if CurrentBar <= 1
	then begin
		Factor = 2 / (Length + 1);
		XAverage = Price;
	end
	else
		XAverage = Factor * Price + (1 - Factor) * XAverage[1];
end;

But, wait!!! The indicator above uses a fixed (numericsimple) input for
FAC. So, while MWDXAverage(AvgPrice,.2) sounds much more impressive than
XAverage(AvgPrice,9), they are mathematically identical. I looked at a
few (not all) of the other indicators. Same story.

Smoke and mirrors. THE TRUTH is out there.

--
   Dennis