Fwd: Omega Research - Good Friday / American Holiday List

Thanks for sharing this, Dennis.

On 4/7/98, at 3:58 PM, dennis.boyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<dennis.boyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Adding Good Friday to the American Holiday List
>
>Friday, April 10, 1998 (Good Friday) is a relatively new exchange holiday,
and
>it is not listed in the Omega Research Server Holiday List. Therefore,
unless
>you add the holiday to the Holiday List, all exchanges that are closed on
Good
>Friday will broadcast the daily settlement prices from Thursday, April 9
again
>on Friday, April 10. To ensure normal data collection, you need to add the
>holiday to the American Holiday List.
>
>This document explains:
>
>A.  How to add the holiday to the Holiday List.
>B.  What to do after the holiday if you did not add the holiday to the
Holiday
>List.
>C.  Frequently asked questions about holidays in general.
>

>A.  How to add the holiday to the Holiday List:
>
>1.  In the Omega Research Server, use the Tools - Holiday Setup menu
sequence.
>2.  Highlight American Holidays.
>3.  Click Edit List.
>4.  Click Add Date.
>5.  In the Date field, type 04/10/98.
>6.  Type Good Friday in the Description field.
>7.  Click OK.
>8.  Click OK.
>9.  Click Close.
>
>Note: You must set up the holiday by Thursday, 4/9/98 11:59pm. If it is
not, you
>will need to perform Step B on the day after the holiday.
>
>B. What to do after the holiday if you did not add the holiday to the
Holiday

>If you did not add the holiday to the Holiday List prior to the holiday,
the
>server will collect daily settlement prices for the holiday, which will
simply
>be a duplication of the previous day's settlement prices. Therefore, you
will
>need to delete the daily data for the holiday. To do so:
>
>1.  In the Omega Research Server, use the File - Delete menu sequence.
>2.  Remove the check next to Intraday.
>3.  On the Daily line, set the Start Date to 04/10/98.
>4.  On the Daily line, set the End Date to 04/10/98.
>5.  Click Add by.
>6.  Highlight all affected (domestic and most international) exchanges
(Hold
>down the CTRL key while clicking the exchanges).
>7.  Click OK.
>8.  Click OK.
>9.  In the "Delete data?" dialog box, click Yes.
>
>C.  Frequently asked questions about holidays in general:
>
>Q:  Why is there a Holiday List?
>
>A:  Our server is scheduled to collect daily data after the close of each
market
>on the days scheduled in the symbol/exchange universe. All of our
compatible
>data feeds will continue to send the previous business day's daily prices
(also
>known as refresh, settlement, or daily data) during the holiday. If a
regularly
>scheduled day is a holiday (or non-trading day) and the holiday is listed
in the
>Holiday List, the server will not collect this duplicate daily data.
However, if
>the holiday is not listed in the Holiday List, the server will collect the
same
>daily data two days in a row. Obviously, this will alter any technical
analysis,
>which is why it is necessary to either a) setup the holiday in advance or
b)
>delete the duplicated daily data after it has been collected.
>
>Q:  What other problems can I expect on the day after the holiday?
>
>A:  Your intraday and/or daily charts might contain gaps, which can alter
>results of any technical analysis. For example, when calculating a trend
line,
>you should not include days with no trading.
>
>Q:  How can I fix this "time gap" problem?
>
>A:  From the TradeStation or SuperCharts main menu, use the Tools -
Options menu
>sequence. Click on the Price Data tab. Clear the checks from the first two
check
>boxes in the dialog box and click OK. This removes all of the gaps on
every
>intraday and daily chart on every workspace.
>
>Q:  Doesn't that throw off my trend line analysis if there really is a
time gap
>that's not due to the holiday?
>
>A:  Yes. However, most traders aren't too concerned about this because
trading
>(most of the time) is constant throughout the day.
>
>Q:  What about people who trade international markets that are open on the
>holiday?
>
>A:  When you follow the directions in this document, you are only altering
the
>Holiday List for the affected exchanges you specify. Data collection from
other
>exchanges will not be affected.
>

>Please contact our Customer Support Center if you need further assistance
with
>or have any questions about the above information.
>
>Dennis Boyle
>Omega Research
>Customer Support Manager

*********** END FORWARDED MESSAGE ***********

Ken and Lisa Woody - Ken.Woody@xxxxxxxxxxxx
A ship will never sail the seven seas unless it first leaves the safety of
the harbor.