Re: Source for C++ compiler

On 28 Mar 98 at 21:56, omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Peruse "www.ebay.com"  This is an on-line auction mainly of
> individuals who have used or unneeded items to sell.  There are many
> categories, including computers and software.  You can find most
> current software packages for 30-50% of the retail.  I am not joking
> - this includes WInNT, MSOffice, VC++ etc.  Somebody somewhere wants
> to get rid of a copy. I do not think that this is pirate stuff -
> EBay wouldn't want that. I have not purchased anything yet, but will
> check there when I am serious about buying such.
>
> donc

Just as some added input relevant to this, manufacturers of both
software and hardware have created for themselves a HUGE problem,
that is, and will continue, to work to the benefit of end-purchasers.

By their efforts to push product into the various selling channels at
levels exceeding user demand at their stated prices, the reseller
channels are forced to take in excessive quantities of product in
order to get their (ever shrinking) discounts.

As a result, broad and growing grey markets exist for the purchase of
these goods. This has been going on in software for some time, and
now it is present in hardware as well. The asian financial situation
is adding fuel to this fire, and there are extrodinary price ranges
to be found on identical goods.

The end-buyer will find themselves rewarded if they will invest the
time and energy to investigate before they purchase.

One who observes what is happening in all of this, could also learn
some things that will benefit their trading accumen, also.

good trading,

Cliff