Re: Paint Bar/ ShowMe

There have been some creative solutions to this problem. I decided to try
it, too. It seemed like the desired output is a moving Show Me or Paint Bar,
but no such thing exists. Those that used Show Me's or Paint Bars, painted
the previous one the chart color to "hide" it, but it is still there. My
approach is to use a very short Trend Line, since the inherent nature of the
Trend Line drawing object is to be drawn and relocated. If it is very short,
it can highlight the desired bar.

Here is the code for my "N Bars Back" indicator. Feel free to use it, but
please leave my credits in.

{ *******************************************************************
 Study   : HTC N Bars Back
               Shows the bar that is N bars back.
               Useful to see what bar is being compared for momentum,
highest, etc.
               Also useful to see what bar is about to be compared.
               Since you only want one moving "Show Me", using a trend line
is
               appropriate here, since traditional Show Me's persist. The
trend line is
               degenerate in that the start and end point is the same. The
idea is to make
               the "line" thick so it shows up as a square dot in the center
of the appropriate bar.
               Remember, if you want to change the style, right-click the
trend line, don't edit the Show Me.

 Original              : 03/27/98
 Last Edit            : 03/27/98

 Created By        : Neil Jon Harrington, Harrington Trading Co.  (c)
Copyright 1998
                              njh@xxxxxxxxx
********************************************************************}
Input                   : NBarsBk(8);
Vars                    : TL1(0);

If CurrentBar = 1 Then     { Create initial marker after the max bars back }
 TL1  = TL_New (Date[NBarsBk + 3], Time[NBarsBk + 3], High[NBarsBk + 3],
Date[NBarsBk], Time[NBarsBk], TypicalPrice[NBarsBk])
Else Begin        { This moves the marker bar after bar }
 TL_SetBegin  (TL1, Date[NBarsBk + 1], Time[NBarsBk + 1], High[NBarsBk]);
 TL_SetEnd     (TL1, Date[NBarsBk], Time[NBarsBk], High[NBarsBk]);
End;

If FALSE Then Plot1(0, "");    { There must be a Plot statement to compile
correctly. This never plots }

I hope this is useful to someone.

Neil Harrington