Re: Futures Truth - ETS System

Thanks to Michael (Paauwe that is <> not Mermer <g>) for a
fantastic analysis far beyond the others I got for the subject.

On my own testing I always look a the Equity curve developing over
time. You can easily isolated wins which brings up ther performance
to big total numbers, but will not hold up over time

rgds hans

ps - nothing snipped below , to good to be snipped

> Michael Mermer and some brokers have been promoting the ETS system
> lately. It's only $25 to Futures Truth for a published report so I
> checked it out. Since late October 1997, performance has been good.
> For the very short period before that, real time performance was
> reasonably good on the daily bar, but flat on daytrading, after
> giving back some big gains.
>
> In total, for the 9 month period ended December 31, 1997, it has
> been profitable on the S&P, but with high drawdown. However, you
> really need to compare performance on the S&P to that of 'buy and
> hold' during the same period.
>
> Futures Truth has only tracked this system since March 31, 1997.
> They said before that "this system was previously available but has
> some subjectivity in the rules." Mermer assured the list via Deming
> that it's all mechanical, so you can now hold him to produce and
> publish a proper backtest. Trading 101.
>
> Before getting excited reading the broker ads and thinking about how
> much money you are going to make on the ETS system, read the recent
> post by Tom Cathey on "Futures Truth and System Promotion". It
> contains realistic comments on the subject.
>
> Just because brokers say it's ranked top ten by Futures Truth,
> doesn't really mean much at all. Often it's just a 'short term
> blip'. Especially with mechanical S&P500 daytrader systems.  They
> tend to break quickly and not stand up over extended tests,
> constantly needing periodic adjustment (read re-optimization) of the
> parameters. There are very few exceptions.
>
> Before purchasing or trading ETS for daytrading the S&P 500, or any
> other market, request that the vendor or the broker produce a
> detailed extended backtest, for at least a five to ten year period
> before March 31, 1997. There is really no valid excuse for not
> producing it, unless there is something to hide.  Otherwise, it's
> just another sucker's game, plain and simple.
>
> The same trading rules that are promoted as working so well in TS
> based ETS after March 31, 1997 must have also worked before then, so
> don't accept excuses.
>
> Never justify use of an S&P daytrader system based on only the
> recent few months performance. That is essentially what the public
> is being asked to do by daytrading the ETS system based on only the
> Futures Truth report. Before bolting in and day trading it, as a
> starting point, ask for a 'complete' proper back test. Chances are
> you'll be glad you did.
>
> Here's the highlights from the Futures Truth published report:
>
> Trading S&P 500 on the daily bar:
>
> Drawdown is high and performance is well below a buy and hold
> comparison.
> **See the buy and hold benchmark below, and compare profitability & maximum
> drawdown.
>
> March 31,1997 to current date of report December 31, 1997: Net
> [...]

~~~~~
You wont achieve anything by being afraid.......