RE: Data Transfer

At Tue, 17 Mar 1998 08:38:24 -0800, Brian Massey <bnm03@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>Well Robyn (and David) it turns out that Laplink is still hanging in there.
> I consider one of the best remote control programs out there.  I use it to
>transfer small files between my machines and to watch markets on my PC when
>I'm travelling.

Brian,

IMHO Laplink for Windows 95 is a quite expensive software solution
for transferring files through parallel ports. What about using
the Windows 95 functionality directly (in fact, I'm not sure if
direct cable connect is delivered with the OS CD or the Plus!
package) ?

<>
>My preferred method, and the one I'm using now, is to
>network PC's together.  Buy a couple network cards, T connectors and Coax
>cable and for about $150 (less than 1/2 the cost of a Jaz drive) you can
>transfer files between machines as though each machine existed inside the
>other.

I just can agree on that.

Windows 95 has all software built-in for Ethernet networking.

PCI NIC start at 25$. For a simple coax 'network' of two computers
(10m cable), the total hardware cost might as low as 70$. That's not
what I paid for 5 years ago BTW, calculations are based on data from
a very recent price sheet instead.

Transferring a 25 MB file does take around 1 minute 15".
Tape streamer PC Backups achieve a 14-16 MB/min (uncompressed).

>The only draw back to this is that it can get a bit technical to
>set up.  If you're not computer literate I would recommend hiring someone
>to set it up and get it operational for you.  Trust me, you'll be glad you
>did!

Obviously doing it yourself does require that you read some computer
literature, altough not more than a "Networking for dummies"
anticipatively in most cases.

I went this way in 1993 and 'm really glad owning my
configuration (ie not being dependant on external resources
to add station/printer or solve basic problems).

Sure this is not to be recommanded to people using complex
configurations or bound by restrictive warranty terms.

Br. Alain.