RE: My main man Money...

Jerry,

If you're a large trader >10 contracts in one market a day, the overhead of
doing business off floor can be substantial.  Trying to buy a bottom 3
times on a 20 lot (a modest amount) in Bonds with slippage, $12/RT
commission can get expensive fast.  And there's no garuntee you'll get it
all back.  And then there's the even bigger trader in say a Grains or the
SP (100 lots)  that besides the commission, may not be able to exit their
position in one gulp.  They may have to say sell 10 over here and ten over
there while the market continues to fall. All of this can get expensive
fast. The biggest lure of day trading is fast, big profits. Big profits
that come from double size.  Execution can be a problem.

It would be easier to average that loss down knowing that 9 times out of
10, they'll average it correctly.  Between their tradig skill (picking
bottoms) and the overwhleming percentage of time the market will retrace up
and down during the day, their odds are darn good of not only getting out
of a looser but making money.  They rely on their ability to spot trend
days and not average down on those days.  If they judge incorrectly, then
they get blown up.

Read West of Wall Street as an example.

However, I agree with you.  As a small spec, trading 1-10 lots, I would
rather just take several small losses. But even this has it's problems.

1. Dicipline is essential with this technique.  It takes real fortitude and
dicipline to attempt to buy a bottom several times. Repeatedly eating
slippage and extra commissions take a not-too-insignificant toll.

2. What if you stop yourself one or ticks within the top/bottom.  As the
market starts to go the other way, will you go with it?  Again, it takes
dicipline to have the mindset of a contratrend trader and then totally
abandon that to go with a move when you were stopped out prematurely.
 Averaging down would avoid this.

This aside, the weight of evidence cannot be refuted. Successful traders
I've talked to cut their losses short with stops.  In my travels, winners
that become loosers at some point (or just out and out loosers) average
down.  It just takes one to wipe you out.

I herd a story a few months back about this bond trader that lost 100
million.  He kept averaging and averaging until he couldn't hold the
position any longer.  He had to cut it.  When you consider what is on the
line when you trade, beyond the money, it takes a great deal of
indifference to average down.  Do you think this guy reached for the
Peptobismol or something stronger that day?

Brian.