Re: SL_Market_Overbought_Dive_Dive

Bruce,

This discussion was not supposed to
be on the Omega list. It came from the Scilink list. I hit
the wrong button and posted my answer yesterday to the Omega-list
by accident - sorry.

I will post this comprehensive answer on the scilink list - hopefully I
will get some exemption for doing unlawful cross-postings - Bob.

> Just out of curiosity, how many of you out there that think the
> market is overvalued are currently writing OEX call options long
> term?  Not too many, I bet.

Yes, it is expensive to bet WITH the  trend  near the top of
"stupidity" but you don't want to bet AGAINST the "stupidity" trend
either because "stupidity" seems to be plentiful. As I said I have
been extremely bearish for over a year. The longer the bull market
takes the more bearish I get - you might say I am an idiot. The point
however is that the perception of the masses of what is right and
what is wrong doesn't change gradually it changes from one second to
the next. To predict this is foolish because there are too many
variables. The stock-market is especially dangerous because the
general public is directly or indirectly invested in this market.

My answer to your theory that there are not enough stocks but too
many baby-bomers around is the following:

There have always been times when some things were very scarce and
plenty of potential buyers were around. There was even a time when
there was a major shortage of tulips.

Basically it doesn't matter whether something is scarce or not or
whether there are many potential buyers or not. I know some very
scarce and even rare art objects which can be cheaply bought for a
few dollars. The funny thing is that although they are scarce no one
wants to have them. And why should baby-boomers invest in a falling
market if the market should ever fall ? They can happily keep their
money in tripple AAA investments. Inflation is low - they even make
money. They don't need to invest in stocks - it is just fashionable
to do so.

I was very lucky that I experienced the crash very early in my
business life. I had started fresh as a stock-broker and had worked
for half a year. I knew everything - as I thought. Several guys in
the office were millionairs (paper).  Our chief analyst had made
millions - he called us every day with his mobile phone  from his
boat to keep us informed. And then the crash happened. We were
looking at the screen in disbelief. We couldn't trade because our
market was in another time-zone. The next day most of our favourite
stocks had more than halved. Most of them never recovered. The
companies went just bankrupt. And the funny thing was that no one in
the office had sold - it was pointless. There was extremely little
volume in the stocks. Simply because the buying dried up.

So here comes the theory that I developed on top of that memorable
experience:

It is  the "suckers-game" like Soros was describing it in kinder
words. Basically you hope that there exists a bigger fool than you
who will be around when you try to sell. In this game it doesn't
matter whether people "invest for life" or just speculate. If the
majority gets the impression that they could be the biggest fool
they will sell whatever their reason for investing was in the first
place.

We could even have a crash when the market is cheap according to P/E
ratios. If there are enough people who want to lock in profits or
want to avoid further losses they will sell whatever the
circumstances are. And the higher the market gets the more people are
sitting on a profit that they want to keep.

Just another example: Is the Indonesian Rupee cheap at 8000
or 10000 or perhaps 20000 IDR/USD ? I couldn't even see the figure
properly on my screen today because the currency has got so many
digits recently.

Has this anything to do with rational thinking ? One year ago the
investment bankers were piling up in Indonesia to give them fresh
loans (in dollars). Why don't the want to put their money there
anymore ? The country is still there, the people are still there -
what is the difference. I tell you what it is:

They want to see some other "fools" going there first again.

Gerrit