TradeStation 4.0 Build 21 - Editing of Bad Ticks (IU comment)

Good news to stock and option traders --
Omega enabled tick editing for symbols generating more
than 32,000 ticks a day. That's one problem down and one more
to go (the initial tick).

I had an opportunity to test the editing function (in the form of
a patch, rather than the full-blown build) yesterday. It seems
working fine in both off-line and on-line servers, even during the
market hours.

It just so happened that INTC volume went through the roof
yesterday, producing around 90,000 ticks. It was an opportunity
to see how the new edit function performs under those conditions.
It performed well.

Here's a technical note and a word of caution for the users:

When working with a symbol consisting a large number of ticks,
it may be difficult to find the actual bad tick in the list of ticks in the
Edit Tick Data window, although the tick is visible in the chart.

You may find yourself scrolling the ticks' list back and forth
without actually seeing the offending tick there. This may happen
if you move through the list page-by-page -- either by using the
page up or page down keys on the keybord, or clicking on the
body of the scroll bar. In a case like that the program may skip
one or more pages, so if the ofending tick happens to be on one
of those pages, you will not see it.

In that case, one has to move through the list on a
tick-by-tick-basis, by clicking on the scroll bar's arrow,
rather than to move around in page increments.

Also note that while scrolling through individual ticks, the
ticks move in blocks the size of whose adjusts to the size of
the tick file. For small volume symbols ticks move in increments
of one -- the same as before. For larger files -- around 45,000
ticks -- the ticks scroll in increments of two. At about 90,000
(INTC yesterday), the increment is 3, for 113,000 (ORCL on
Dec 9) the increment is 4.

Again, the limitations described above enter the play only in case
of extraordinarily large tick files. However, the users should be
aware that such limitations, however inconvenient they may seem,
are only a small price to pay for the truly important improvement.

For the record, the following is a copy of my note to Ms. Janette
Perez of Omega.

Igor Uhrik

In a message dated 98-03-06 02:10:50 EST, Ms Perez of Omega