Win 98 Beta

Chuck wrote in regard to Win 98 Beta expiration:

> Partially true. The current build is 1691 and is a Release
> Candidate. It will expire Apr.1999

That is a newer build than I know about.  The readme file I have says
expiration is 90 days.

> Setup gives you the option to save your old system files so
> you may uninstall if you wish.

There obviously have been changes I didn't know about.  Even so, someone
could be in a mess if they had installed new application software or
upgrades under Win 98.

> Also you may install into a different directory ie Win98 or
> whatever, which is what I do and dual boot with System
> Commander.

That is wise with any new operating system.  That is what we do here, but
few computer users have, or even know about, System Commander.

> The only problem here is you will need to reinstall all of your
> software you wish to run under the Win98 OS.

That is true.  Furthermore, doing that can lead to big problems with some
application programs.  Try installing two copies of WinFax on the same
computer and see what happens.  It can't be made to work, even if they are
on different drives and one is a 16-bit version running under Win 3.11 and
the other is a 32-bit version running under WinNT.  They destroy each
other's databases.  Only the last one installed will work.  If you don't
backup first you will lose a preexisting database on the second installation
cycle.

> Still not what I would call a good 32 bit OS but much more
> stable than Win95 which should have been marketed as the
> worlds most complex computer virus!

Win 95 and Win 98 are both predatory.  Microsoft has some interesting
business practices.  Try downloading Netscape browser software with Internet
Explorer.  According to a notice at the Netscape web site, the download will
hang after most of the large file has been downloaded, unless you download
from a non-Netscape mirror site.

  -Bob Brickey
   Scientific Approaches
   sci@xxxxxxxxxx