Re: Y2K Blackmail?

This car analogy is hoaky.  The reason people may use an old DOS program is
because it was coded with quality and still runs like a champ.  If a car is
10 years old it is not necessarily outdated (it still uses gasoline).  Most
of this get a new car attitude is to keep up appearances with their
neighbors.  If software was designed with quality in mind like my old Honda
Accord that is 12+ years old 140,000 miles and not one repair (only basic
maintenance) customers would be a lot happier.  Someone out there may rebutt
"well its first to market that counts in the software business not quailty".
Well I would reply by saying that -- if you spend the time designing the
software with high quality in the first place it is easier to maintain and
make improvents upon the base code in future releases.  When you start
getting into fixing later with patches you get a bandaid affect that starts
getting messy.  You would have been better off spending more time before
releasing the program to make it right the first time.  This would give you
a starting advantage over other companies even though you lagged in
releasing.  If your car lasted like a champ for years and years you would
likely purchase that brand again.  If it craps out alot you are going to
look for something better next time you are up for purchasing again.  There
is more money in selling 5 long lasting high quality cars to a person in a
lifetime than to sell then 1 crappy one and have them never return.  If my
old DOS program worked like a champ I would be more likely to purchase the
windows version from the same company that made the DOS version.  If the DOS
version was junk I would look of another company that had a similar program
when upgrade time came about.

                                                            La Gonzo