Tick Volume Problem in TS4

I am trying to write an indicator that uses volume on a tick basis.

For example, say I set up a chart for IBM, Compression: 1 volume bar,
volume: trade volume.

The chart appears to be OK. A data window reveals the correct
information, with volume separated into Up and Down columns based on
whether the tick is an uptick or a downtick.

Furthermore, putting the cursor on any tick shows the correct
information on the status line. To be nauseatingly thorough, the edit
price window also shows correct information, with volume appearing in
one column (up/down status is ignored).

However, add the volume indicator to the chart and there are only
vertical bars at the bottom of the chart for upticks. The downticks have
no vertical bars. Ominously, this foretells what happens when I write an
EL indicator and examine what's happening with the Print statement. 'v'
or 'volume' only reports the up volume; on a down tick, the value is
zero.

Has anyone encountered this? Is there an undocumented reserved word that
will get me either downvolume or total volume?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Allan