Re: Before you purchase a Dell PC

Before I opened my first Gateway box, I called their Tech-Support
specifically to ask about the seal and the warranty.  They told me to break
it and it wouldn't affect the warranty.  Then, they proceeded to guide me
through activating a second Parallel Port using a jumper that I bought
locally.  They were very competent and helpful.

In another case, they told me to break the seal before I even asked, then
suggested I remove a sound card before installing an Ethernet card.

Another similar situation with Compaq-- however I had to wait a while on the
phone while they found someone who knew what was needed.

I can't help but think that the Dell/Floppy incident was an isolated one
that represents an extreme exception rather than the rule.  One aspect that
I found difficult to understand is why the person would use written
communication when free 800 numbers are provided for such needs.  Perhaps
reverting to snail-mail which was not Dell's normal way of handling this
situation was at root of the problem.