Re: [Metastockusers] Re Setting A Flag & A Clayburg System Test

Hi Kevin

My opinions about forward referencing are not shared by everyone, and I accept that.

Your code for "Category 3 High" and "Category 3 Low" will not plot for the last 3 bars of a chart,
and that illustrates one of my reasons for not using forward references. The indicator value for the
latest bar cannot be known until 3 more bars of data are available. That situation is only visible
at the "Hard Right Edge", but it applies across the whole chart. Changing the code to the following
(eliminating the forward references) ensures that all data is available for the plot on any given
bar.

{Category 3 High}
Cat3H:=ValueWhen(1,
   Ref(H,-6) < Ref(H,-3) AND
   Ref(H,-5) < Ref(H,-3) AND
   Ref(H,-4) <= Ref(H,-3) AND
   Ref(H,-2) <= Ref(H,-3) AND
   Ref(H,-1) < Ref(H,-3) AND
   H < Ref(H,-3), Ref(H,-3));
Cat3H;

I haven't tested a forward referencing scenario in the Enhanced System Tester, but I know that the
old System Tester would happily accept forward references and report results that were unattainable
in real life. The Explorer will return an N/A result unless a forward reference is compensated for
by an equal or greater backward reference (delay, or negative reference).

I trust this helps explain why a forward reference has no place in the MetaStock formulas I write.

Kind regards

Roy Larsen
www.metastocktips.co.nz
Free formulas and MS links