[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: System Tester, Number of Bars

Very helpful reply. Your advice is to scrap my 10 favorite stocks
and let the system(s) pick the universe of stocks to trade.

One clarification: can you expound on "Orderly accumulation and
distribution is the "key" to increased profits."

Thanks!

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "CedarCreekTrading"
<kernish@xxxx> wrote:
> Yes, you have no bananas.  Nothing works on predetermined issues,
all of the time.  The single largest trap any mechanical trader falls
into:  forcing technical work on specific markets.

> Mechanical systems can be divided into two types (in general, cut
me a little slack here): trend following/breakout or contra-trend
momentum systems.  Overall market conditions dictate which of
the "type" of system you should put in play.

> We believe one keys is volatility.  I publicly trade a mechanical
system and this successful approach has been criticized for not
performing well during certain six-month periods during the past ten
years (but, certainly not any time this year).  Examining the poor-
performing periods led us to believe that momentum oscillator (RSI,
StoRSI, etc.) driven systems kick butt in times of low volatility.
Unfortunately, they do not fare as well when rate of change becomes
relatively large.  Trend following systems get killed in low
volatility and "bring home the bacon" when volatility is pushing
historic highs.

> So, first, you have to measure volatility and understand the pulse
of the market....applying the type of approach that suits the
conditions.  Then, the fun begins.  Traders tend to pick their
universe and then "force fit" mechanical systems on their favorite
issues.  Total nonsense.  Flawed logic.

> Allow your system to select the universe.  Some issues have supply
and demand patterns that will never lend themselves to profitable
mechanical extraction.  Orderly accumulation and distribution is
the "key" to increased profits.  Why trade issues that lose money?
Hopefully, the answer isn't: because it's one of my favorites.  I
wonder if your favorite issues love you as much as you love them?

> Once you identify issues that have a history of "orderly" supply
and demand, you can rank your opportunities by a bevy of
measurements: expectancy, % per day return, etc.

> Don't fall into the trap of trying to make credible approaches work
on your "favorites".  Good luck.

> Take care,
>
> Steve
> www.cedarcreektrading.com
> www.thedailytrade.com

Indicators
>   > often
>   > > tests using 20 to 40 years worth of data. Does that mean that
the
>   > > best performing systems he has found historically will work
well
>   > > today. Absolutely not. He admits that many of the
historcially
>   best
>   > > performing systems have done poorly in the last few years. Is
it
>   > > because of curve fit? No, it's because his historical data
>   averages
>   > > out all types of market cycles and the last few years have
been
>   > > anything but average. The point of his book is not to use
what's
>   > been
>   > > great over forty years, but to look in similar places for
current
>   > > versions of the similar things that will work in these
markets.
>   > >
>   > > Sorry I can't support your opinion. I've gotten a different
>   > > perspective from studying the issue.
>   > >
>   > > Esignal is slowly increasing the amount of historical data
they
>   > > maintain because of intraday system's developers requests for
the
>   > > data. However, there has been talk that the historical data
will
>   > not
>   > > be available to users of MS but only to Esignal trading
clients.
>   > > Equis says this is not true, but I've seen some evidence of
it.
>   > >
>   > > Historical one minute data since 1997 on the S&P 500 can be
>   > purchased
>   > > for about $2500 from Price-data.com. For people doing
intraday
>   > > trading that's reasonably priced. You can buy individual
symbols
>   > for
>   > > $75.
>

>         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor