RE: [EquisMetaStock Group] CREATING ABANDONED BABY

If anyone is interested, I once did some experimenting with candlesticks in
Metastock.  Making Metastock identify the patterns is not particularly
difficult.  Just break it down to the individual elements and then create
the more complex patterns by combining these basic elements.  Here is what I
used for an Abandoned Baby Bullish.

Abandoned Baby Bullish:
Ref(Fml( "Candle_Long_Black_Day"),-2)
AND
Ref( Fml( "Candle_Doji"), -1)
AND
Ref(CLOSE, -2) > Ref(OPEN, -1)
AND
Fml( "Candle_White_Day")
AND
LOW > Ref(HIGH, -1)

The individual custom indicators referred to in the above custom indicator
were written as separate, stand alone custom indicators as follows:

Candle_Long_Black_Day:
(OPEN - CLOSE) >=  Fml( "Candle_Ave_Relative_Body")

Candle_Ave_Relative_Body:
(Ref(Fml( "Candle_Relative_Body"), -1) +
Ref(Fml( "Candle_Relative_Body"), -2) +
Ref(Fml( "Candle_Relative_Body"), -3) +
Ref(Fml( "Candle_Relative_Body"), -4))
/4

Candle_Relative_Body:
Abs(CLOSE - OPEN)

Candle_Doji:
OPEN > CLOSE - (.001 * CLOSE)
AND
OPEN < CLOSE + (.001 * CLOSE)

Candle_White_Day
CLOSE>OPEN

You could easily combine this into one indicator, but I always like to keep
things in their simplest form (like little subroutines) and then combine
them in different ways in the final custom indicator.  The code could be
streamlined also, but again, I like to keep things VERY clear for this
feeble brain of mine.  Some of the variables I use were the result of
experimentation (such as the number of days used for calculating
Candle_Relative_Body and the .001 in the Candle_Doji). Finally, I may have
added some extra qualifications (in the code) in my quest to make the
indicator work in the real world.  There tends to be a great deal of code
required for the more complex patterns, but basically is very simple stuff.
By the way, when you plug all of this into an expert, it does make an
interesting chart.

For a quick reference to candlestick patterns, you can use my cheat sheets
at http://www.masterdata.com/CandleStick/index.htm (free, no subscription
required).  There is something to the candlestick method, but I have to say,
to date I have not found any individual pattern by itself to be of
particular merit relative to the more traditional Western indicators.  I
will, however, no doubt try them out again when I get the time.  I think
most candlestick users spend more time finding the patterns than worrying
about profitable trades.  Charting is a means to an end, not the end in
itself.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Larry Carhartt