Message-----From: Jay T [mailto:JaysTownsend@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, 19 May 2004 12:30 AMTo:
equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: [EquisMetaStock Group]
Reuters Futures Data & Downloader
<BLOCKQUOTE

  CSI's data, Unfair Advantage, allows you to create the "roll over" in
  most any manner you choose for continuous contracts.  UA allows roll
  over on the last day of the month prior to expiration, or "n" days before or
  after.  There is no, and I mean no, good way to roll over and if one uses
  continuous contracts for back testing they are fooling only themselves.
  An alternative for back testing that I've found to be valid is to have
  historical contracts for all contracts such as all January, March, May, July,
  etc. corn for example, and do historical testing on all January corn contracts
  (I choose a 12 month period because many futures contracts have very light
  trading in the early months) back to as early as you have data.  You can
  do this for each of the succeeding months, and use this same method for other
  contracts.  This is exactly what Moore Research does and they give you
  exact buy/sell and exit dates based on historical trends that occur 80-90% of
  the time, and, they charge you an arm and a leg for it as well.  Also,
  Moore limits their historical computer massaging to no more than 20 years of
  history and often only 15 years of history as global conditions change over
  time that effect the market, in spite of what the (successful) phases of the
  moon watchers tell you.

  As for volume, UA allows you to specify whether you want the total volume
  for all months contracts dumped into the volume slot or whether you wish only
  the volume for only the contract month.  I find that having the volume
  only for the contract month gives a much better view of liquidity and most of
  the time I tend to trade liquid markets only.  For example lumber
  yesterday July lumber had a contract volume of 522 while September lumber
  had a volume of 116, both skinny markets but if the volumes for all contracts
  had been added together it would have given a distorted view of potential
  trade opportunities.

  UA is competitively priced with Reuters, has fewer errors, is ready
  earlier, and has several cash markets that Reuters doesn't have.

  Jay

  <<Hi. 2 questions:In the dialog
  box for Futures for Continuous Contracts is the choice"Roll on
  Expiration". Is this the same as what is referred to as a"Spliced"
  contract (as opposed to a "back-adjusted")?The choice under the Other
  tab for "Use volume from all contracts" Iassume that means for the
  continuous contracts and it uses vol of allopen
  contracts?Thanks,Harold>>

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor