Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Stop loss

Alan

> At my delicate stage of development, it seems to me that "LOW"
> and "Ref(LOW,-1)" would be recalculated daily, which is not what I
> want.  For example, if the low were 20 on the day that the buy
> conditions were satisfied, I would want it to stay at 20 (at least
> until I start it trailing).  Am I correct in saying that it would be
> recalculated daily?

I think this has been mentioned in a subsequent post already but you can use the ValueWhen()
function to hold a value from one event to the next. Unfortunately this is not a total solution
because an unwanted second or third event will change the returned value prematurely. This is where
the use of a PREV function may be required. It allows the storing of a value from an entry signal
until either an external exit signal OR an entry related condition occurs.

How you code this will depend on exactly what it is you are wanting to do.

I think that the Simulation dll functions may also be able to be used for what you want to do. I
haven't studied it yet so I'm not sure what it's potential uses are. Check it out.

Here's an example of how you can use a PREV based latch to remember an entry value. It doesn't have
to be the entry price, it could just as easily be a relevant ATR or RSI value. Notice that the value
is not stored in the latch itself ('Trade' variable) but is "reconstituted" using ValueWhen(). It
takes at least one additional PREV to store the value inside the 'Trade' variable, and that's why I
prefer to have the latch function only using 1, 0 and -1.  Minus 1 is not necessary either as far as
that goes but it's useful though not critical.

The 'Trade' variable can be reset either by using the external 'Reset' or internally by referencing
some current value to some value at the time of the first 'Set' signal. There are a zillion
variations you can do with this.

  {PREV Latch Exercise}
Set:=Cross(Mov(C,15,E), Mov(C,25,E));
Reset:=Cross(Mov(C,25,E), Mov(C,15,E));
Trade:=If(PREV<=0,If(Set,1,0),
  If( Reset {independent exit} OR
    C>=ValueWhen(1,PREV=0,C)*1.2 {20% profit exit} OR
    C<=ValueWhen(1,PREV=0,C)*0.9  {10% loss exit} ,-1,1));
Abs(Trade)*ValueWhen(1,Ref(Trade=0,-1),C);  {trade active/entry price}

Roy