[Metastockusers] Re: answer for Kevin

Kevin,

The Std Dev of the Lin Reg end points and the Std Dev of the Lin Reg
trendline are very different.  This can be seen clearly on a chart.

With the Lin Reg end points, we are dealing with many different past
Lin Reg trendline end values.
With the Lin Reg trendline, we are dealing with only one Lin Reg
value.

jose '-)

--- In Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Kevin <kevin_barry@xxxx> wrote:
> Thanks, Jose. Many thanks for your reply. However, I'm not sure that
I am
> at one with your answer. Does not the Linear Regression Indicator
equate to
> the last point on a LR Trendline with the same period parameter? In
fact,
> the LR Trendline and the LR Indicator (the centre line if you will)
do
> converge at the final point. It's your variation of the standard
deviation
> calculation in which I'm interested.
>
> (The 63 days makes good sense.)
>
> Regards,
> Kevin
>

> At 16:24 11/04/2004 +0000, you wrote:
> >

> >"Please may I ask you a question about your useful Linear
Regression
> >Trendline Channel v2.0 indicator?"
> >http://users.bigpond.com/prominex/MetaStock/LinRegTrend.txt
> >
> >Hmmm... Who dares to question my MS code?
> >Ok, Ok... shoot.  :)
> >

> >"When I plot this indicator together with your Channel indicator,
> >  I would expect to see the three lines converge.
> >  The LR lines do but the Bands/Channels don't."
> >
> >Your code is taking the standard deviation of the Linear Regression
> >*Indicator*.  My code takes the standard deviation of the Linear
> >Regression *trendline*.
> >

> >"why do you favour a value of 63 as your default?"
> >
> >63 trading periods is 3 months' data on a complete daily chart.
> >IMO, it looks like a useful number of bars to determine
intermediate

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511