[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Metastock 9.0 and Ice 2.0

9.0 is so, so. If you're a new trader, maybe the sectors and broad
market stuff will be interesting. If you use point and figure charts,
you'll get more of that. The trendline stuff is okay but not
brilliant.

I think the upgrade should have been 8.4, instead of 9.0. They didn't
fix many bugs, at least not the ones that really screw up MS, like
the x axis problems, or the systems tester issues, etc. Basically the
upgrade looks like they didn't want to bother changing any of the
code so they glued on a bunch of gloss.

ICE is a different matter. ICE 2.0 optimizes 72 indicators divided
into 4 groups that have little or no co-linearity. Once you have the
opts, ICE 2.0 turns them into an expert systems equation. The
equations are very good. Basically 99.999 percent of MS users can't
properly write an equation for one optimized indicator, muchless four
at the same time. In addition, the indicators are weighted within the
equation, which makes a big difference.

ICE gives you the expert, some commentary, the alerts, a systems test
equation for that set of indicators and an exploration.

However, to get the best results from ICE you should optimize on one
symbol at a time. So if you trade the DOW or a group of ETFs, you
would optimize each symbol, create an expert for each symbol and
attach it to that's symbol's chart with whatever else you want to put
on it.

It will take you about two to four weeks to create 60 or so experts.
It depends on a lot of factors, which I'm not going to explain.

If you scan 7000 stocks a night looking for 5 cup and handle
patterns, ICE won't help you.

If you use a screening program like Stock Investor Pro to select a
group of stocks to track using TA, you can createe experts for those
stocks because not many are added to the list each month.

You can also generate an equation for GM, run the equation on a group
of stocks like the S&P 500 and find 10 or more stocks that will trade
very, very well with that expert. They won't be as highly optimized
for the 10 stocks as they are for GM but the expert will still out
perform buy and hold or another expert you could write.

You can also take a group of 20 stocks, run the opts, remove the 10
stocks that don't work so well with those opts, re-run the opts and
create a pretty good expert for the 10 stocks that are left.

There are a lot of strategies for using ICE, most of which are not
explained in the manual. The more experience you have the more you'll
see the possibilities. The less experience you have the more you'll
appreciate the accuracy and efficiency of the ICE equations.

You will want to combine ICE equations with one of the one size fits
all screen templates like ones from Pring, Elder or Clayburg.

You can also optimize long only or short only.

>From what I've heard ICE 2.0 is the fastest selling plug-in Equis has
ever had.

If that's true, Equis is going to have to change the way the systems
tester works and allow for a que so you can run one opt after another
over night without going back to the computer, or they are going to
have to allow you to select individual results on a group of stocks
rather than averaging the results together. Because of the poor way
you have to run opts with the systems tester, ICE takes much longer
than it should. That's Equis's fault, not the fault of ICE. However,
if Equis does what it always does, it won't fix the problem.

The main issue with MS is Reuters controls the resources and I don't
think Equis can get enough programming time to really clean up the
code. The next version of MS may have to be a complete rewrite
because some of the ways that MS approaches things are way behind
current programming protocol. ICE is much too slow, there are too
many bugs, the smart chart is the source of many, many problems
within MS and should be eliminated, MS has little or no ability to
manage upper memory and control the I/O pipe (conflicts crash the
program frequently) and the systems tester needs a complete overhaul
and upgrade. You can't bandaid fix those problems any more. However,
if they can milk MS the way it is for a couple of more years, they
most certainly will.

If I were only going to buy the upgrade or ICE, I would buy ICE.
Nothing in the upgrade is going to make you a dime.

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, durango12342003
<no_reply@xxxx> wrote:
> I was thinking of getting the upgrade to 9.0, but I have a few
questions.
> Maybe someone out there can help me.
>

> I have 8.0 professional for e-signal. However I use it end of day.
I use