Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Roy, care to comment: System Tester - Can I fix the amount to commit for each trade to say, $5,000?

Anthony

What version of MetaStock are you using?

It's not possible to have fixed equity positions in the System Tester for
any version prior to MS 8.0.

I'm not familiar enough with the 8.01 Advanced System Tester to say one way
or the other. Someone from the group should be able to answer this. I
suspect that you can control the position size by specifying the number of
shares. If this is so then it would allow you to effectively keep the
position size fixed, or at least within a tight range.

There is at least two commercial add-on tools that have this capability,
possibly more.

If you go to the "TradeEquity" group at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TradeEquity/ you can find out about the tools
I've developed for equal position sizing if you're not already familiar with
them. I've had to restrict membership to this group because of the porn site
pushers, but other than a possible delay in being admitted to membership
there shouldn't be a problem accessing the group files and archives.

There are versions of TE for both equal (fixed position size) and
compounding (all profits reinvested as per MS), and options for points only,
position size by percentage of a user selected maximum, and position size by
number of shares. The difficulty with the latter two options is that they
require another user formula to calculate the percentage, or shares, to buy.
I have yet to see any definitive code in this area of money management that
makes any real difference to system performance. Hopefully one day someone
will convert some of the theory into useful metastock code that works.

TE is free and the code is open. Support is also free (so far), and given
the difficulties with the 8.01 Advanced System Tester I think TE still has a
lot to offer in the way of system testing. TradeSim it's not however.

Roy

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511