RE: [Metastockusers] Re: Volume Bars

Hi
Debra,
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Firstly, remember that life is a learning curve so no need to worry that
you consider yourself to be only partly down the journey with Metastock coding -
there are a lot of members a lot further advanced than I will ever be but
hopefully we can all contribute a little to the Group and gain in the
process.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
attach a gif file again of the various color bar studies and would comment as
follows:
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
1. The
Ribbon basically gives you a different type of view that was your request #2.
When the ribbon is Green then this shows that the Volume on that bar is greater
than the simple moving average of 21 bars and the reverse when the bars are Red.
If you change the two lines of code in the Expert Properties under the Trend tab
you can change the weighting emphasis so that you will get more or less bars
that meet the "green" criteria and are therefore more or less significant bars.
Whilst your original request was for a factor of 1.0, I used 1.2 in the example
to give more emphasis to significant "green" bars meaning that
the volume is greater than 120% of the 21 bar Volume SMA. Thus you can
customize these two factors to find what works best for you. The code again
is:
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Bullish:     V > Mov(V,21,S) *
1.2   {As a general rule I use 1.33 as my factor as this is a
nice balance of degrees of freedom, IMHO}
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Bearish:    V < Mov(V,21,S) *
1.2   {remeber to change both the Bullish and Bearish factors
(1.2) in sync}
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
2.
Thus, the trend bar ribbon is analysing completely different criteria to the
'Close' Up Days and 'Close' Down Days where we have colored the volume bars
inner window green or red respectively. If you added an extra
window showing the Volume Histogram and applied the above trend bar
ribbon code then in my opinion you would be duplicating the volume height data
and it may be more confusing.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
I hope
this is helpful for you. If not please get back and either I or some other more
knowledgeabe member will be pleased to help. Remember the rule:

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>    "There are no silly questions,
only silly answers".
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#008000
size=2>Good Hunting ------------------->

<FONT face="Kunstler Script" color=#008000
size=5>Regards,
<FONT face="Kunstler Script" color=#008000
size=5>
Gordon
Sutherland

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Debra Ann
  Petitan [mailto:DrDAP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Thursday, 9 October
  2003 4:32 p.m.To: Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
  RE: [Metastockusers] Re: Volume Bars---
  Gordon Sutherland <gosuth@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:Greetings Gordon,I
  am so appreciative of your work and time in helping me.  The Indicator,
  Ribbon, and Expert Advisor have turned out just as you describe.  They
  are in place and working.Related to the Ribbon, I am not sure what the
  different widths of color represent.  When I look at the Volume Bars
  above the different sections of color, they are not all green or all red as
  indicated by the Ribbon.  How should I interpret the Ribbon
  Sections?  Would the Green Section represent above Average Volume and the
  Red Section represent below Average Volume?I am sure you can tell I am
  new at this and your explicit instructions are very much needed and
  appreciated.Thank you so very much.Regards,Debra
  -----Original Message-----From: Gordon Sutherland
  [mailto:gosuth@xxxxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Tuesday, 7 October 2003 11:51 AMTo:
  Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: [Metastockusers] Re: Volume
  Bars  Debra,I attach a "png"  image file
  with a Metastock template that may be thesort of thing you are looking for
  (at least such that you can modify tosuit). If this is of interest then
  read on and I will provide detailedinstructions of how to
  construct.Firstly, let's recap your three posted requests:1.
  Is there a formula written to change the colors of the volume bars
  todistinguish them as "up days" and "down days?"2. I want to put a
  MA over the Volume Bars to show Above Average andBelow Average at a
  glance.  When I choose a 14 SMA or any other lowperiod, the line is
  useless.  If I choose 200 period MA is will rest onthe bars in some
  cases.  How can I set this up to be meaningful?3. How do I set up
  MACD to show the histogram as the comparison of theMACD MA with the Signal
  Line?Construction:1. My previous posts supplied the formula
  and methodology for your firstrequest above (see the previous posts
  below). I would add that in thesecond line of code there was an error
  which you must have astutelyadjusted for. The correct code for the Down
  Volume should be:If(C<Ref(C,-1),V,0) - I omitted the "If" at the start
  of the formula -my apologies to the Group.2. Given that we have a
  Volume Color Study in (1) above for Up days andDown Days we may wish to
  not have two inner windows for Volume butrather use a Trend Ribbon Bar to
  achieve your request (2) above (makeabove and below average Volume days
  visually very clear). To create anExpert Ribbon do the
  following:a. Open your Metastock template for (1) above and showing at
  the bottomof the screen the Color Study for Up and Down days. I have
  displayed theDJIA in the graphic file posted herewith, but use whatever
  ticker youwish.b. Open the Expert Advisor window, the icon of a guy
  with a bowler hat,and choose New.c. Type in a Name for the Expert and
  type any notes in the Notes area.d. Click on the Trends tab and type the
  following into the Bullish andBearish boxes
  respectively:    V > Mov(V,21,S)*1.2
  {bullish}    V < Mov(V,21,S)*1.2 {bearish}e. Change
  the default factor of "1.2" to "1.0" or any other weightingyou choose in
  the formulae in (d) to emphasize the size of the varianceof Volume from
  the 21SMA. Again, I like to use a 21SMA for comparisonbut use whatever
  suits your trading style.f. Click the Ribbon tab and
  check:    Display Ribbon in Chart
  Bullish Background change to green and Pattern to None and eliminateany
  type in the Label box    Do the same for Bearsih but use
  red    Do the same for Neutral but use say
  yellow    Click OKg. Click on the Corner tab and
  check:    Display Symbol in Expert
  Corner    Select your symbols and colors for Bullish;
  Bearish; and Neutral    Click OKh. You should be back
  in the Expert Advisor Trends window and if soClick OKi. In the Expert
  Advisor window choose the Attach tabj. You should be back in the chart
  window with your Expert Ribbon nowshowing. If so, click and hold the left
  mouse button and drag the Ribbonjust above the Volume Histogram Study
  window (You can leave at thebottom if you prefer of course)k. You have
  now created your inner window (Trend Ribbon) to show yourrequested Study
  (2) above. For safety reasons, I suggest you save yourMetastock template
  at this stage in case of crashes etc. Go to FileCommand menu and choose
  Save As... then use the drop down box arrow inthe "Save as type:" field to
  choose Template (*.mwt) and then selectyour Template for the original
  Volume Up and Down Days Study (use a newname if you wish to separate) and
  then click on Save.I apologize if these instructions are too detailed
  but I figure you canskim the obvious stuff but you can't if no notes are
  provided!3. Let's now construct your third request ie the MACD v the
  Signal Lineas a Histogram. I have also included an overlay of the MACD in
  Lineformat and also to 'color up our lives a little' I have coded
  theHistogram to be green above zero and red below zero! If I
  haveinterpreted your instructions wrongly as to what you wish to
  displaythen please get back to me.a. Display your Metastock
  template showing your Volume Up/Down DaysColor Study and your Above and
  Below Average Volume Trend Ribbon Study(each in separate inner windows)
  and then:b. Click on Indicator Builder Icon and choose the New tabc.
  Fill in a Name for the Indicator in the Name: boxd. In the formula box
  select, copy and paste the following (Ctrl + C)and (Ctrl +
  V):    X:= MACD()-Mov(MACD(),9,E);
  Green:=If(X>0,X,0);
  Red:=If(X<=0,X,0);    Green; Red;e. Make sure the
  box "Display in Quicklist" is checked and then click OKand then click
  Closef. Click on the down arrow for the Indicator Quicklist back in the
  mainchart windowg. Select the Indicator you just created in c - e and
  click and holddown the left mouse button whilst you drag the left-hand
  side icon forthis Indicator (marked with an "f") and when the mouse
  pointer turns tothe image of a blank chart just above the bottom of the
  Price Data innerwindow but above the two other Volume Study inner windows
  then releasethe mouse button.h. Right click on the line chart that has
  just been plotted in this newinner window and choose the Properties box
  for the name of the Indicator(the first choice on the menu)i. On the
  Color/Style tab choose Color: Dark Green and choose Style:histogram image
  and then click OKj. Right click on the red line for your new Macd
  Histogram which will bein line form below zerok. Choose the Properties
  box again for the name of the Indicator (thefirst choice on the menu) and
  then on the Color/Style tab screen leavethe Color as Red and choose
  histogram image again for the Style: andthen click OKl. You should now
  have the Macd Histogram plotted showing the differencebetween the Signal
  Line and the difference between the two MA's (defaultca 12 and 26). I find
  the Color makes the visual scan that much easierto discern.m. Let's
  now overlay the Macd and the Signal Lines in the same innerwindow for the
  Macd Histogram (this is a format I picked up fromTradeStation/SuperCharts
  and helps you pick up on the strength and phaseof the market a little
  easier, but the histogram will be a littleflatter due to scaling).n.
  Click on the down arrow for the Indicator Quicklist back in the mainchart
  window and select MACDo. Hold down the left mouse button whilst you drag
  the left-hand sideicon for this Indicator (marked with an "f") and when
  the mouse pointerturns to the image of a sloping "W" inside the inner
  window for the MacdHistogram, then release the mouse button.p. Click
  OK to accept the Default settings and then choose Merge withscale on the
  right and click OKq. Right click on the solid red Macd Line just plotted
  and choose MACDPropertiesr. Select the Color/Style tab and choose
  Color: Dark Green (Blue if youprefer) and click OKs. You should now
  have the Macd and Signal Line Indicators overlayed onyour Macd Historgram.
  There should be an horizontal line at 0 whichplots with the Macd/Signal
  Indicators, if not, go back into theProperties box for the MACD Line
  Indicator and select the HorizontalLines tab and type in 0 in the top left
  hand box and push Add and selectColor: Blue and then click OKIf
  you have not given up by this time, you should now have your templatewith
  all three Studies showing as you requested! Don't forget to go thethe
  File>Save As>Save as type: Template (*.mwt)>template File
  name:(from the list)>Save. Voila.I hope the above provides what
  you were looking for (and any other Groupmember that has gotten this far)
  and if it helps just a little toenhance your trading returns then I shall
  be pleased for you.Good luck and Good Hunting
  -------------------->Regards,Gordon
  Sutherland-----Original Message-----From: Gordon Sutherland
  [mailto:gosuth@xxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Monday, 6 October 2003 7:54 p.m.To:
  Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: [Metastockusers] Re: Volume
  BarsDebra,Glad the article from Equis was helpful. Will
  see if I can come up withsome suggestions for your points two and three
  tomorrow.Regards,Gordon Sutherland-----Original
  Message-----From: Debra Ann Petitan [mailto:DrDAP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
  Sent: Monday, 6 October 2003 2:31 p.m.To:
  Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: [Metastockusers] Re: Volume
  BarsGordon, Thank you for your fomula and going into
  such detail.  This is just thetype of instruction I need. It
  set up just fine.I had a 3 part post, can you help me with parts 2 and
  3?Thank you again.Debra--- "Martin Blain"
  <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:Thank youMy problem was in
  changing to histogram. I see now it is under style.Regards
  Martin----- Original Message ----- From: "tobtrade2001"
  <tobtrade2001@xxxxxxxxx>To:
  <Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent: October 05, 2003 7:23
  PMSubject: [Metastockusers] Re: Volume Bars> Try this
  code>> clr:=input("change type to histogram color
  black",0,0,0);> red:=if(c<ref(c,-1),v,0);>
  gre:=if(c>ref(c,-1),v,0);> gre;red>> Paste the above
  into a new indicator & drop the indicator into a new> window.
  Cclick on a bar on this indicator where the price bar has a> higher
  close than the previous (i.e. an up bar) & change its color> to
  green. Then click on any remaining black bar on this indicator &>
  change the color to red.>> --- In
  Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Martin Blain" <martin@xxxx>>
  wrote:> > MessageI am the only one that cant get this to
  work?> >> > Regards Martin> >>
  Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> >   Sent: October 04, 2003
  11:49 PM> >   Subject: RE: [Metastockusers] Volume
  >> >   The EquisMonitor (just released) covers coloring
  volume bars> for "up" or "down" days. Here is an extract:>
  >> >   "How can I make my volume green for up bars and
  red for down> bars?> >> >   To accomplish
  this, two custom indicators will be needed. The> following formulas
  will display the volume green when the close> price is greater than the
  prior closing price and display the volume> red when the close price is
  less than the prior closing price. To> create the indicator
  simply:> >> >   Open the Tools menu and select
  Indicator Builder> >   Click on New. Name your indicator
  (for example, Volume Up)> >> >   Enter the
  following syntax into the Formula field:> >
  If(C>=ref(C,-1),V,0). Click OK.> >> >   Open
  the Tools menu and select Indicator Builder. Click on New.>
  >   Name your indicator (for example Volume Down).>
  >> >   Enter the following syntax into the Formula
  field:> >   (C<ref(C,-1),V,0). Click OK.>
  >> >   You should now have 2 new indicators in your
  QuickList.> >> >   Apply the Volume Up indicator
  to a new inner window in your chart> >   Right click on
  the indicator and select properties.> >   Change the color
  to green and style histogram, and then click on> OK.>
  >   Apply the Volume Down indicator to same inner window as
  the> Volume Up.> >   Right click on the indicator
  and select properties.> >   Change the color to red and
  style histogram, and then click on> OK.> >>
  >   It is recommended to save this as a template, perhaps
  your> default template, so that you do not have to do this every time
  you> want it applied to a chart."> >> >
  Hope this helps.> >> >   Regards,>
  [mailto:DrDAP@xxxx]> >     Sent: Sunday, 5
  October 2003 2:44 p.m.> >     To:
  Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> >     Subject:
  [Metastockusers] Volume Bars> >> >>
  >     Greetings,> >>
  >     Is there a formula written to change the colors
  of the volume> bars to distinguish them as "up days" and "down
  days?"> >> >     I want to put a MA
  over the Volume Bars to show Above Average> and Below Average at a
  glance.  When I choose a 14 SMA or any other> low period, the line
  is useless.  If I choose 200 period MA is will> rest on the bars
  in some cases.  How can I set this up to be> meaningful?>
  >> >     How do I set up MACD to show the
  histogram as the comparison> of the MACD MA with the Signal
  Line?> >> >     Thank you for your
  help,> >     Debra Ann> >>

  _____________________________________________________________>
  >     Calling all cartoon fans!> >>
  >     Garfield keeps millions of newspaper readers
  laughing over> their morning corn flakes...now he's waddling into
  cyberspace to> spread his mirth (and girth)!> >>
  >     You can now get the full-color Garfield comic
  strip e-mailed> to you every day of the week -- absolutely FREE! Just
  go to> <A
  href="">http://www.garfield.com/signup/ to
  register!> >> >> >     To
  unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:>
  >     Metastockusers-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of> Service.>

  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor>

  ADVERTISEMENT> >> >> >> >>
  >   To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:>
  >   Metastockusers-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxx> >>
  subject to the Yahoo! Terms of>
  Service.>>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send
  an email to:>
  Metastockusers-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxx>>>> Your
  use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to<A
  href="">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>>>To
  to:Metastockusers-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxYour use of
  Yahoo! Groups is subject to<A
  href="">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
  Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of<<A
  href="">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
  Service. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
  to:Metastockusers-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxYour use of
  Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service<<A
  href="">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
  . To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
  to:Metastockusers-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxYour use of
  Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service<<A
  href="">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
  . Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
  <<A
  href="">http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705001779:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*<A
  href="">http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>
        <<A
  href="">http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupmail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=286616234>
        To unsubscribe from this group, send an
  email to:Metastockusers-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxYour use of
  Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service<<A
  href="">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
  .
  of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <A
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.