Re: [Metastockusers] ADX initialization

Hello Yarroll,

My personal opinion is that the ADX is unreliable whenever a stock suddenly
reverses direction. A rising ADX should indicate a trend in place but it
can be falling rapidly even though there is a new, possibly strong,
(reversed) trend.

I prefer to use the PDI and the MDI which are components of the ADX. I use
the following in addition to my exit signal for long trades or my entry
signal for short trades:

(Mov(PDI(7),3,E) < Mov(Ref(PDI(7),-1),3,E) AND
    Mov(MDI(7),3,E) > Mov(Ref(MDI(7),-1),3,E))

The reason that I use a 3 EMA is that it will absorb any one-day reactions
during a trend. I have tried using the raw PDI and MDI but they generate
too many signals.

I find that the above responds far more quickly than the ADX to a trend
reversal although when composing an entry signal, you could add this for
good measure:

ADX(14) > 25.

No guarantees now ;-).

Regards,