[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: end of day data providers

Rich in Minnesota:

On 21 Aug 2003 09:24:48 -0000, you wrote:

>>I'm interested in EOD and historical data for North American stocks, indices,
>>and mutual funds.
>>
>>Rich in Minnesota

If your primary interest is stocks and general indices, it is hard to
beat the converters. They have a one-time cost, and download "free"
data, directly to your Metastock directories. I have MetaQuote
http://www.geocities.com/stock_downloader/, but there are several of
them available.

If you have a major interest in mutual funds, the choice is much
narrower. The problem is, most data suppliers (including the free
ones) don't automatically update mutual funds historical prices to
compensate for capital gains and dividends, so if you are doing longer
term analysis, this causes a problem. If you are only tracking a few
funds, you can do a manual update. But if you track a lot, this causes
a real problem.

The only two I know of that do the automatic update for funds (there
are probably others) are QuotesPlus www.quotes-plus.com and Worden
Bros./TC2000. I use Quotes Plus. Currently, it is restricted to the
old Metastock 255 stocks/folder format, but I am told that they will
shortly be changing to the newer 6000 stocks/folder format. I don't
know much about TC2000, but I have seen threads on this forum about
how to read that data using Metastock.

Harry

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/BefplB/TM