RE: [EquisMetaStock Group] Explorations Running Slower On Win XP

Depending on the exploration and database
size I would say that the major constraint would be disk IO speed. Things that
can impact this are obviously disk, interface cards (scsi and IDE) and less
obviously the location and size of page file and the layout of the database on
the disk. I would concentrate in the differences between the two machines at
this level first, memory second (somewhat dictates IO through page file) and
processor last.

I also agree with <font
 size=2 color=navy face=Arial>C<span
>huck, I would be
surprised if Metastock was written for Hyperthreading yet as the tools have not
been available for very long.

Tim

lang=EN-US >-----Original
Message-----
Group] Explorations Running Slower On Win XP

face="Times New Roman">

face=Arial>hhmm....
interesting!

face="Times New Roman">

face=Arial>You keep
referring to 1Gig and 2Gig PC's.   I'm assuming that you are talking
about 1Ghz and 2Ghz and not 1Gbyte and 2Gbyte.   In other words, you
are talking about processor speed versus memory?

face="Times New Roman">

face=Arial>If the
2Ghz PC is hyper-threaded and the 1Ghz PC is not, the (supposedly) faster PC
will run slower.   If this is the case, it confirms my belief that
MetaStocks has not been programmed in such a way as to take advantage of hyper
hyperthreading.

face="Times New Roman">

face=Arial>Other
things that can be quite different between the PC's are:

face="Times New Roman">

face=Arial>1.
Paging space.

face=Arial>2.
Fragmentation of the paging space (defrag's don't usually touch paging space).

face=Arial>3.
Raw speed of hard discs.

face="Times New Roman">

face=Arial>I hope