[Metastockusers] Re: Tester question

Roy,

Thanks for the hint. I'm thinking of upgrading to v8.01 but that is
not the issue with what I'm talking about here. I've been a long time
user of Metastock since the real-time DOS version,
I think it was 4.0 or something. I've been using 7.0 pro in the past
for system development and testing. Late last year I purchased APS
from tradingpatterns.com. I was skeptical in the beginning about
getting another program but that specific one helped me to realize a
few things about testing systems. When comparing the back testing
results of APS and Metastock for the same systems they were different
and that made me very curious. I then went manually, trade-by-trade
over a number of system testing results and I realized that Metastock
testing was wrong. The problem is that if a system exited an open
position on the open or during the day and the same signal generated
a new position on the close of the same day or the open of next day,
that specific trade would not show up in the testing. As a result,
the performance of the system was misleading or even wrong, depending
on how many trades were skipped by the tester. But here comes another
problem: If one uses a time shift as suggested to fix the tester
problem then the same formula in the explorer misses the signal.

I feel very uncomfortable that years of work with Metastock testing
systems involved such a "limitation". Even if this is solved in v8.01
that's of no cancellation for all the wrong testing results and the
missed trades.

Joe

--- In Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Roy Larsen" <rlarsen@xxxx>
wrote: