[Metastockusers] RE: RE: Roy Larson & zig zag formula

Correctly:
my formulas and the GuppyTraders article are available at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Metastockusers/files/
and other sites.
Look for the Word document titled
"SR Zigzag related indicators.doc"
and for the pdf file titled
"Validating the Zigzag.pdf ".

The zigzag indicator is not suitable for back tests and cannot be
re-constructed with the Metastock Formula Language.
It is suitable mainly for visual inspection of significant swings.

On the other hand "SR Zigzag Trend" can be used either as a stand-alone
indicator or
in conjunction with Zigzag itself. It is reliable under all conditions and
suitable
for back tests too.

In any case one has to choose between
validity at the cost of lag (SR ZZT)
and immediate responce at the cost of validity (Zigzag).

Both tools are already available and IMO there is absolutely
no reason for re-creating them, unless one wants to practice
programming (but with real programming languages like C++, Pascal, Java etc)
in which case he could put ZZT into a DLL using such a language, which would
be nice indeed.

What I would like to underline, if I may, is the fact that both tools are no
less
than 100% accurate in WHAT THEY DO,
meaning that a skilled programmer can only
improve secondary parameters like speed or appearence, etc.
In other words the values they return are "optimal", unique.
They cannot be further improved since, for example, 5% peaks in a specific
price series will always have certain unique values (so the accuracy of
Zigzag
cannot be improved) and the corresponding trends will always be confirmed at
specific price levels and not earlier (so the lag of ZZT cannot be improved
either).
In this sence both indicators are objective and "final".

But as I said one can try to change things like their interface.
For example Tradestation's Zigzag version works differently:
The last leg does not plot until the bar of confirmation.
But the peaks and troughs values are the same with Metastock's.

I hope this helps

Spyros

Message: 18