From: Roy Larsen [mailto:rlarsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, 20 May 2003 4:17 PM
To: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Formula question on ADX and RSI

Tim

This has been covered several times in this and other forums. A more
complete write-up will be in the archives within the last 6-8 weeks.

You need to set the number of periods for the exploration to at least 5
times the ADX / RSI / EMA or whatever setting. The problem is that Wilders
Smoothing (as used internally in ADX and RSI for example) is a form of an
exponential moving average. An EMA uses ALL available data in a chart for
arriving at a value. To get reasonably close to 4 decimal place accuracy an
ADX(14)  will need about 75 bars of data.

You are probably using "minimum" bars (for the exploration) at the moment
and this is insufficient for any function or code using an EMA or Wilders
Smoothing either internally or externally. The Explorer will not use all
bars available, only the minimum that it calculates is necessary from
looking at the longest "periods" value contained in your code.

Roy