[Metastockusers] Re: Exploration RSI(14) Problems

Kevin,

Interesting problem. I'm not in front of my metastock computer right
now but will check into the problem later this evening when I am.

Have you compared the RSI values with another data set. One thing
that I will do and Rich you might want to check this as well is go to
Downloadquotes.com. There, can set up a chart of International Charts
with a 14day RSI on it. Should be easy to compared the Metastock
values to the Downloadquote values.

Kevin, I wonder if you are exploring a large number of periods...say
greater than a year(258 days) and if your chart has the same number
of periods on it? Just another place to look.

More later,

Preston

--- In Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Kevin Howard" <kjhoward@xxxx>
wrote:
> Hi Rich and Ellen,
>
>                         All examples are Australian Equities which
last
> traded on 24 April 2003 Australian time.
>
>                         Gradipore (GDP); Progen (PGL); Roberts
(RBS);
> and Brazin (BRZ). The first three have not dipped below RSI (14) 30
> during the past 5 days and the last Company is not showing as rising
> above 30 on my charts.
>
>                         I hope these Companies mean something to
you and
> that you can spot the problem. This is driving me crazy.
>
>                         Thanks, Kevin

User
> Manual), but apparently not. Nevertheless I have now used the
following
> as an attempt to validate:
>
>                   A: =Alert (Cross (RSI (14), 30), 5);
> B: =If (BarsSince (A) <=5, 1, 0); B=1
>
> But this still gave me false positives, i.e. shares that had not
been
> below 30 within the past 5 trading days. So I ran another
exploration
> this time using the following filter:
>
> BarsSince (RSI (14) <30) <=5 AND
> BarsSince (RSI (14)>30) <=5
>
> I also used my columns A to F to record the RSI (14) values for
each of
> the past 5 trading days using the 'ref' function. To my
astonishment and
> despair I still captured shares whose RSI (14) value had not been
below
> 30 during the past 5 trading days. So is my logic wrong with these
> attempts to validate or have I somehow corrupted my MS software or
data?

> I should add that I definitely take your point about trading
whipsaws.
> The reason why I am so pedantic about wanting to capture shares only
> where either RSI (14) has crossed 30 or MACD () signals 'Buy' and
> desirably to have both occur within the last few trading days is
that I
> then want to overlay a composite template over such selected shares,
> interpret the resultant graph and then act on this interpretation.
The
> RSI and MACD signals do not form part of the template but are highly
> correlated in situations where the template signals a buy or sell
> action. On a small sample of shares (5) in real life, the template
has
> given exceptionally good and unambiguous results. However as I
cannot
> employ all the parameters used in the template as an exploration or
> System Tester code, I am left with having to manually test it on a
> larger number of potential candidate shares before I get too carried
> away with its usefulness as a trading tool.
>
> Two final points: I too thought that Ref -1 gave yesterday's value
and
> Ref -2 gave the trading day before. But now I strongly suspect that
it
> gives the value of the last and second last day that a particular
share
> or derivative traded. For example in the first validation attempt
used
> above, I used two of the A-F column to record the DayOfMonth () and
ref
> (dayofmonth (),-1) values. I fully expected to see 24 and 23
returned
> respectively (25 is a public holiday in Australia). The majority
> reflected these values but a substantial minority did not, but did
> appear to reflect the last and second last days they traded. So I
would
> welcome clarification on the reference function. And finally I still
> would very much like to filter out derivatives and retain straight
> stock. So if there is anyway of filtering on the Ticker Symbol
character
> size within Metastock, I would greatly appreciate being told about
it.

> I really am finding this RSI (14) a difficult problem to solve and
yet I
> know it must be that I am doing something or some things wrongly.
So any
> further insights from either of you or any others on the list would
be
> really well received here.
>
> Thanks again, Kevin Howard

> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  Terms of Service.

> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  Terms of Service.

> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  Terms of Service.
>

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3003379.4507215.2595810/D=egroupweb/S=17
05
> 001779:HM/A=1482387/R=0/*http:/ads.x10.com/?
bHlhaG9vaG0xLmRhd=1051275877
> %
3eM=247865.3003379.4507215.2595810/D=egroupweb/S=1705001779:HM/A=14823
8
> 7/R=1=1051275877%
3eM=247865.3003379.4507215.2595810/D=egroupweb/S=170500
> 1779:HM/A=1482387/R=2>
>

> <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
M=247865.3003379.4507215.2595810/D=egrou
> pmail/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=194455298>

> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  Terms of Service.

Get A Free Psychic Reading!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/cjB9SD/od7FAA/AG3JAA/zMEolB/TM