From: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, March 01, 2003 17:38:50
To: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EquisMetaStock Group] How to prevent re-calculating values?

Like a lot of MetaStock programmers, I tend to calculate several values in
each of my buy/sell/short/cover scenarios.  Most of these calculations are
the same.  For instance, I may need a 20-day moving average of volume in
each statement.   Or I may calculate the total range (max high minus min
low) over 20 days, etc.

My concern is the amount of time wasted to recalculate these things four
times.  This is not a new concern.  It is one that I have had since 1986 and
probably two million optimizations have gone under the bridge since then.

In TradeStation, I am able to ensure that such calculations are done only
once.   After 17 years of using MetaStock, I still don't know a way to do it
in MS.   Perhaps MS is smart enough to know that it has already calculated
the 20-day moving average of volume and won't do it again?

Any insights on this problem/opportunity would be appreciated.  I don't want
to wait another 17 years to find out that I could have saved thousands of
hours of CPU time.

Cheers

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

DVD Rentals with No Late Fees - Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/abvVKB/pEZFAA/46VHAA/BefplB/TM