[EquisMetaStock Group] Best amount of time Periods to test on

Hi, I'm wondering what other people here think the best amount of
periods to use are (running tests with optimizing).   Obviously
longer time periods such as 2000 will incorporate a lot of years, and
find the best overall buy and sell points, incorporating all sorts of
different markets, but thats not much good if you only get a buy
signal once every three years.  Using say 500 still goes back a fair
distance, but being more recent, would give more emphasis to a
negative market.  Using 200 would give more buy and sell signals, but
then how does that compare if you use those optimized results and
test it on 2000 periods?
What do other people think?  Whats gems of wisdom can you throw at me?
Thanks
Chellester