[Metastockusers] RE: ZigZag Validity SR (Spyros)... looking for updates

  • To: <Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [Metastockusers] RE: ZigZag Validity SR (Spyros)... looking for updates
  • From: "SR" <raftsp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 06:12:31 -0800

NorCalTrader:

Since you now have Zigzag Trend (ZZT), I see no reason for your choice of
Zigzag Validity. ZZT could be considered as kind of Validity update, but
actually it's more than that.
Validity just shows if zig is currently valid or not.
It doesn't indicate the direction of the trend, it needs the presence of
zig, its zero readings of the past are doubtful and it can't be back tested.
To help you better understand the differences between the 3 indicators
(Zigzag, Zigzag Validity and Zigzag Trend) I will give you a comparative
table, which will be included in a new article about Zigzag Trend.

				Zigzag     Zigzag Validity       Zigzag Trend

Values returned        multiple   1 = valid trend    1 = valid uptrend
					   0 = invalid trend  -1= valid downtrend

Indication               Yes             No                  Yes
about direction

Validity of             Doubtful        Valid               Valid
current indication

Validity of              Valid	   Doubtful			Valid
past indications

Suitability for        Not suitable	  Not suitable	     Suitable
back tests

Number of valid      All except the  Only the last 2         All
reversal points         last two       (indirectly       (indirectly
			      (visible)      accessible)        accessible)

Lag                        No             No           Until confirmation

As you can see Zigzag Trend is an always valid and tradable indicator.
The only cost you pay is its lag. But this lag is what protects you against
a false reversal. I am not sure I have understood your trading approach.
For example zigzag validity will drop to 0 each time prices drop below the
most recent highest peak. If you close your long position there, maybe you
are
doing so in the middle or even the start of a big uptrend.
Will you re-enter when validity rises again?
If no, then you are loosing the rally. If yes, then
what you do is following zigzag itself with all its redraws. You don't need
validity or any other tool for that.
Maybe I didn't understand well. I might be able to help further if I had
a clearer picture of what you are asking for.
What I am sure of is that no matter what your approach is, you can follow it
also using ZZT and in most cases more efficiently. In other words, there is
nothing that Validity can do that ZZT cannot do. Even if you are looking
for invalid last legs, then just compare zig with ZZT: if for example zig
just
turned up but ZZT still reads -1 then zig is invalid. In this case you would
normally preserve your short position, unless further analysis prompts you
to exit or reverse.

Spyros

Message: 10