RE: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re:Creating a Date function

to disclose your email address to the group.  Please use this
page to reply.

Thanks
Roy for the clarifications and tweaked code, I will check out your
"antidote" tomorrow morning. Appreciate you assistance.

<FONT face="Kunstler Script" color=#008000
size=5>Regards,
<FONT face="Kunstler Script" color=#008000
size=5>
Gordon
Sutherland

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Roy Larsen
  [mailto:rlarsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Thursday, 30 January 2003
  7:58 p.m.To: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re:
  [EquisMetaStock Group] Re:Creating a Date functionHi
  Gordon> Thanks to you both for responding to my request for help on
  creating a> Date for an expression in the Explorer.> This
  certainly gets me along the right path - thank you - but from the> Gif
  file attached you will see that when I ran an Explorer for your> joint
  and sometimes a date which is outside the 65 days and indeed> sometimes
  into 2004! The Date Column on the attached gif is from Roy's> code and
  the Month and Day are from Joe J.'s - they both agree thank>
  goodness!There are at least two causes for your problem, and there may
  be others thatI haven't thought of.I think the first and biggest
  problem relates to the method MS uses to storenumbers. When the day is
  multiplied by 1,000,000 we are just asking fortrouble. I think what is
  happening (I can't prove but I'm sure I'm right) isthat the addition
  process is introducing some fraction which is gettingrounded up to create
  a year that is 1 higher than it should be. Thisaccounts for the 2004 for
  some issues, and some will no doubt return 2003instead of 2002 for a few
  others. Even after my fix you will need to bealert for this.One
  solution that appears at first glance to be successful is to truncatethe
  year down to two digits. This allows both multipliers to be reduced by
  afactor of 100 thus greatly reducing the chance of an error. This
  solutionhas problems of its own in that it requires the use of Frac()
  which can alsocause tiny errors - the very problem we are trying to get
  rid of. I thinkI've got that covered by using Int() after Frac() (inner
  functions areprocessed first), and then creating a deliberate error so
  that the 2 digityear will have a surplus rather than missing fraction.
  Int() will restorethe year to the correct 2 digit value (I think). Just
  how you expand thisback to 4 digits I'm not sure but it will depend on
  what software you usefor further processing.I found that a number
  of thinly traded issues reported years of 1999 andeven further back. In
  most cases I'm sure that this applies to issues thatare only traded once a
  month or so. If I was you I would use a cutoff datein the filter so that
  any issue with less bars than a specified number sincea specified date
  would be excluded. This should be quite simple toconstruct.Make
  sure your exploration covers more periods than your lookback period.Using
  LLV(C,65) should ensure that you have no problems but it doesn't hurtto
  stipulate 100, 200 or whatever. I seldom use less than 400 for
  anything,and even this is marginal (as far as accuracy is concerned) for
  some signalsusing exponential moving averages.Here is the modified
  code for the data
  column.D:=ValueWhen(1,LLV(C,65)=C,DayOfMonth());M:=ValueWhen(1,LLV(C,65)=C,Month());Y:=ValueWhen(1,LLV(C,65)=C,Year());D*10000+M*100+Int(Frac(Y/100)*100.01);>
  I recall there was some discussion on locking into the correct dates
  in> the dim and murky past. Do you guys have any further idea why I
  am> getting erratic dates. I use the dd/mm/yyyy date inversion and
  my> database is Australasian.That will have to suffice until
  you come up with further problems. Checkyour results
  carefully.RegardsRoyTo
  to:equismetastock-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxYour
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor